First time with Wyeast 4184

Hello All, I just started a new batch of mead a few days ago and I decided to use Wyeast 4184 this time around in stead of the Red Star stuff I had used in the past, and already I thought it may have gotten stuck. About an hour after pitching, it began bubbling quite nicely but when I woke up the next morning it was not bubbling at all, and the airlock looked as though it never started bubbling. So I gave it another day in hopes that sending it positive thoughts alone would keep it going. Well I still didn’t see any action, so i prepped another pouch of the 4184 and pitched it. Again, it bubbled like crazy for a few hours and then slowly died off, but now that Ive moved it to a warmer room, the airlock stays filled, but no bubbles UNTIL our heater turns on. Every time the heater turns on and the room warms up it starts to bubble again… and then when it turns off, the bubbling stops and the airlock drops back down like it never bubbled. Our room temp stays around 71-72 F, and the last temp check on the mead was 67, which from what Ive read is well within the temp tolerance of the Wyeast 4184. So i guess my questions for the smart people out there are for 1, is this normal for the wyeast? because the red star stuff in the past just goes crazy until its done. And 2, if this is not normal, would it be wise to assume that warming the mead would be a resolution to the issue or should i just leave it be? Thanks!

Initial gravity was 1.130 and 72 hours later it was still 1.130…

Zac

What was the original gravity? What is the specific gravity now? My bet is that the gravity is falling regardless of any visible activity. Give it time and it will ferment out just fine. Patience. It’s going to take about a month to finish fermenting, and the best way to know when it’s done is by checking the specific gravity.

Hah i was just editing my post to add that info

1.130 on 1/11 and 1.130 today

Yeah im sure it will eventually, ive used 4766 for ciders before and it blasted off immediately too. Im just curious to know if its just a slow starter or what.

Oh wow, that’s big. Two packs of yeast was a good idea. Maybe now the yeast just needs time to get acclimated? If it doesn’t start fermenting in another day or two, then pitch a third pack.

I have used 4184 many times and never had any problems, although my original gravity was never that high. I might have gone as high as about 1.105-1.110, but 1.130 is very big indeed so you probably just need extra yeast and more time to get the job done.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]Oh wow, that’s big. Two packs of yeast was a good idea. Maybe now the yeast just needs time to get acclimated? If it doesn’t start fermenting in another day or two, then pitch a third pack.

I have used 4184 many times and never had any problems, although my original gravity was never that high. I might have gone as high as about 1.105-1.110, but 1.130 is very big indeed so you probably just need extra yeast and more time to get the job done.[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for the input! Im not using a lot of solids in this one, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and nutmeg, you think some nutrient would be a good idea even though the wyeast has that nutrient in it?

Meh… personally I’m not convinced that yeast nutrient is essential, but on the other hand if you are seeing such a slow start to the fermentation, then you probably should give it some. Yeah, that’s my final answer.

Right on, well I’ll give this a shot in a couple days if the gravity hasn’t changed and post back here and let you know. Thanks again!

Well its going nuts now… the most bubbles ive seen yet in a brew.

gravity is at 1.100 today.