First time with a yeast starter

I am brewing a lager on Sunday, so I decided to make my first ever yeast starter today. I purchased the 2000 ml beaker kit so I have everything I need. I looked at the instructions that came with the kit and it said to use 1300 ml of water and 1 cup of dme. I followed these steps and after I started I noticed on the bottom that it said to create a 1000 ml starter for lagers up to 1060 OG (mine is 1056) and create a 2000 ml starter for lagers up to 1080 OG.

I assume there is no harm in making a 2000 ml starter when I really only needed 1000 ml, correct? Is the only negative to this that I used more dme than needed?

Do you all pour the whole thing in the wort or do you decanter most of the liquid? What are the pros/cons of either?

Thanks again all.

Jon

According to Mr. Malty, your 1.056 lager should use about a 2L starter (assuming 1 packet of yeast and NO stir plate on a 5 gal batch.

You are always better off over pitching than under pitching. Although over pitching can be detrimental to the over all product, it is very difficult to over pitch. I would have probably started with a 1L and stepped it up to 2L if that is all you have. For most of my lagers I do a 2L and step up to 5L.

Whether or not to decant all depends on a number of things. Are you fermenting at room temp? If so cold crash it for at least 24 hours and decant. How much time do you have? If not enough time for the yeast to settle, then pitch the entire thing. Also, at what temp are you pitching? If you are pitching warm and then it will require you to bring the yeast temp back up. Lastly, how big of a batch are you doing? 2L into 5 gals is a lot and can cause off flavors.

When I do my lager starters I always ferment them at the same temp so I don’t have to worry about the yeast throwing some off flavors. Therefore, I can pitch the entire starter. The “all in the pool” idea.

Wow - so many questions come to mind from your post - –

1. What do you mean by starting at 2L and step up to 5L?
  2. I will be fermenting in my keezer at about 48 degrees
  3. The kit I bought said 2 months - I am not in a big hurry
  4. You asked about what temp I am pitching at - - the yeast starter is in the kitchen- about 68 degrees. As far as what temp to pitch the yeast into the wort - - I am not sure, do I want it close to 48 degrees since that is where it is going to ferment?
  5. So, do you recommend putting the yeast starter at 48 degrees then since that is where I am going to ferment?

I am doing a 5 gallon batch

No, that’s a bad idea. You;re growing yeast, not making beer, and yeast grow better at warmer temps. I always make lager starters at room temp and in general I never make a lager starter smaller than a gal. Because you’re doing a large starter, you’ll want to pour off the spent wort from it before you pitch the slurry. So even if you develop off flavors from the warm ferment, they won’t be going into your new wort.

No, that’s a bad idea. You;re growing yeast, not making beer, and yeast grow better at warmer temps. I always make lager starters at room temp and in general I never make a lager starter smaller than a gal. Because you’re doing a large starter, you’ll want to pour off the spent wort from it before you pitch the slurry. So even if you develop off flavors from the warm ferment, they won’t be going into your new wort.[/quote]

Do you do a step process to reach a gallon starter. Or do you make a 1 gallon starter from the get go? Do you use a stir plate with a gallon jug? How many billion cells are you shooting for in a lager?

Brad

[quote=“gusrotteyman”]Wow - so many questions come to mind from your post - –

1. What do you mean by starting at 2L and step up to 5L?
  2. I will be fermenting in my keezer at about 48 degrees
  3. The kit I bought said 2 months - I am not in a big hurry
  4. You asked about what temp I am pitching at - - the yeast starter is in the kitchen- about 68 degrees. As far as what temp to pitch the yeast into the wort - - I am not sure, do I want it close to 48 degrees since that is where it is going to ferment?
  5. So, do you recommend putting the yeast starter at 48 degrees then since that is where I am going to ferment?

I am doing a 5 gallon batch[/quote]

1. I start with a 2L flask, wait until it has fermented, crash, then pitch in a 5L flask.
  2. I meant at what temp will you keep your starter. I do mine at ferm temps to help with flavor and pitching temp. If you keep it at room temp I suggest decanting as this will add off flavors to your final product if you pitch the whole thing.
  3. I meant if you brewed today and your starter was ade yesteday and you don’t have time to crash then pitch it all.
    My suggestion is to step up your starter, keep them at the overall ferm temps, crash cool (if you planned ahead), and pitch at the same temp as starter to wort.

I recently did my first starters as well. I think it went fairly well.

I’ll just provide some information that I noticed while looking into and finally doing the starters.

Once made, I kept the starters in a room that ranges between 68-70F. I also made sure to keep them in an area I frequent often. I just made sure I lightly shook them around every now and then.

I read some where is what recommended to let them sit for 3-4 days prior to pitching. Mine was more like 2 days. There was a lot of yeast already accumulating in the bottom of the jars at this time.

As for the temperature for pitching, I just followed the normal instructions. Depending on your yeast is when you will pitch. It should tell you in the kit you ordered. If not, just google the company and your yeast.

As for decantering, the starter I pitched in my Honey Kolsch, I decantered. However, the one I used for the Caribou Slobber, I did not. I have noticed the Caribou’s fermenting seems to be a little more aggressive than the Kolsch’s. Is it related to what was done with the starters? I don’t know, just an observation. They are different yeasts.

BTW: I went the cheap route and only used a 1000ml flask.

I learned last night that you do not want to swirl the flask too hard or else you get a nice volcano action and you make a mess :evil:

Jon

No, that’s a bad idea. You;re growing yeast, not making beer, and yeast grow better at warmer temps. I always make lager starters at room temp and in general I never make a lager starter smaller than a gal. Because you’re doing a large starter, you’ll want to pour off the spent wort from it before you pitch the slurry. So even if you develop off flavors from the warm ferment, they won’t be going into your new wort.[/quote]

Do you do a step process to reach a gallon starter. Or do you make a 1 gallon starter from the get go? Do you use a stir plate with a gallon jug? How many billion cells are you shooting for in a lager?

Brad[/quote]

I’m shooting for the number of cells mrmalty tells me I should have. I use a gal. glass jug on a stir plate. I generally will start with maybe 2-3 qt., let it ferment out, decant, and add another 2-3 qt. Let that ferment out, crash in the fridge, decant, and pitch the slurry while it’s still cold.

To decant or to not decant. To not decant would be like opening 4-5 cans of Budweiser and let sit a room temps for 3-4 days and randomly add to your nice fresh wort. Why would you even consider that as an option?

I put the starter in the keezer this morning and then at 4:00 I took it out and decanted it. I hope it works.