First Time user of a stir-plate for yeast starter?

Hello I have my yeast starter on my stir-plate now for almost 36hrs an I notice this weird stuff on the bottom of my flask an also these little bits of black particles when I say a little bit I mean there maybe one or two that I see swirling around as the stir- plate was agitating my yeast starter. I just hoping that there aren’t some sort of bug that got into my yeast starter. I sanitized everything I sanitized my flask , my funnel, the piece of foil, i even put the hot boiling wort into my flask to make Sure it was sanitized. But here a image of what on the bottom maybe you guy’s can tell me what it is https://imgur.com/a/nQZu4

Sorry wrong image it’s this one https://imgur.com/a/24yfJ

Weird looking stuff. Did you boil the dme in a separate. Pot or in the flask. ?could be particals. From your cooking pot it came loose when the dme came to a boil .or your spoon did scrape some stuff loose from you cooking pot. But looks weird.

Yes I boil the starter wort in a separate pot an Poured it into the flask

Did it had a coating on the pot. Maybe this became loose. I am not smart. But it happend to me first time did end up with particals in my flask

No it was a stainless pot

Steel

Me did replace all my pots to stainless no more issue. After that. You do dry yeast or liqued. Could be outdated yeast. Or not enough dme for your starter. Just thinking

The specks are normal with some yeasts. Was this White Labs yeast? You would have seen a scorch ring in the bottom of your kettle If the specks came from scorching the starter wort.

But this means you let the dme getting to hot past the boiling point

By letting it pass the boiling point is that going to cause a problem for my yeast starter

If they are scorch ring from the bottom of my pot is that going to cause any off flavors in the Final beer ?

Scorching the DME for the starter will probably not cause an off flavor in your final product. You will be decanting most of the starter wort. The scorching may make the wort less fermentable though. It isn’t necessary to boil the starter wort for the purpose of getting a good hot break. Your not making a beer. You’re just feeding the yeast sugars to build the cell count. Bring your water to a boil to sanitize the kettle and lid, remove the kettle from the heat and stir in the DME making sure it is fully dissolved. Recover the kettle and let it cool. Pasteurization occurs at 160°F. This will take care of any possible source of infection if sanitation wasn’t perfect.

1 Like