First time trying Late Extract Addition

Hello all, it’s been so long since I posted here and I forgot all my info, so I had to create a new account.

Having a small problem. My beers usually end up darker than what I am expecting. I realize this is due much in part to extract brewing. To counter this, I’m going to make my first attempt at doing a late extract addition. Going to be trying it on a Sierra Madre Pale Ale which turned out darker than normal the last time I did it. Same way with a Dead Ringer I did, almost looked like an Amber/Brown Ale with not as much of a hop taste/aroma that I was expecting.

I’m looking to get 2 things out the of the late addition. 1) Better hop utilization and 2) a more accurate color of the style of beer I’m making.

Now my main question deals with what I should add to start the boil with. The Sierra Madre kit comes with 6lb of Gold Malt LME and 1lb of Golden Light DME. Is the any rhyme or reason of what I should add early or late? Was figuring to add maybe 2-3 lb of the LME at the start and then the remaining LME and 1 lb DME with 15 minutes left for the sanitization factor.

I know it isn’t this difficult and I need to RDWHAHB, just looking for a little guidance. Thanks.

I am also beginning late extract additions to lighten the color of the end product. Late extract addition is now a part of NBs’ online rcipe for American Amber Ale.
Add roughly 1 pound of extract for each gallon of water in the boil. Add the DME first. DME darkens less in the boil. The Maillard reaction. Add the remainder with 15 minutes remaining in the boil.
I have read a post somewhere on the forums that water plays a role in keeping light colored styles like pale ales light in color. Distilled or RO water being the best . Not sure of this, but could be investigated.

Thanks for the info, will go with the DME first and part of the LME.

I have also read about the pros of using Distilled water vs. tap/drinking water. I have been using gallon jugs of drinking water from the store, so I may go the distilled route this time as well to see if I notice a difference.

Are you doing a full volume boil? If you’re only boiling 2.5 gallons as the kit instructs you to do, that is probably the cause. Doing a full boil (starting with 6 gallons) will give you a lighter, clearer color (as well as better hop utilization. The way to go if you have the equipment to do so.