First time - infected?

Hi,

First time brewing. I had sanitized everything, but there were a lot of flies around that was attracted to the wort. I fear that they may have landed on my bowl that I was rehydrating yeast with. Or, perhaps it was because I didn’t think to sanitize the mouth of my glass carboy – I only sanitized the interior.

Fermentation got rigorous in the first 48 hours, and it did bubble over a bit before I got a blow-off tube in there. It is currently day 4. At first, it looked okay from the outside, but when I shone a flashlight into it, I think I can see some white spots forming:

Here’s a picture:

I think it looks fine. I intentionally infect my beers and it doesn’t look like that. IMO You have rafts of CO2. An infection would look like the skin of brie cheese at the start.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s really reassuring! I’ll leave it be and post an update when I complete fermentation.

2 Likes

Looks fine. If it starts looking like this let us know

2 Likes

looks delicious

why?

Because I love Brettanomyces beers and the flavors they create. Before Louis Pasteur and industrialize beer and wine practices a little Brettanomyces was in everything. It was/ is a part of every naturally fermented beverage to various degrees.

I was under the impression Lacto was the common bug… But what do I know about these things… 0… :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

Lactobacillus generally doesn’t form a pellicle from my experience but Brett always does

Must be a market for that kind of beer! Must be the old way of doing things!

There are a lot of Brett beers being made you just won’t find them at a grocery store. If you are interested here’s a partial list and you can find a Brett beer at a brewery near you.

I see a couple of brewies around the house that do sell. Might have to check it out. (Prison City and Baccus). Thanks :+1:

1 Like