First Time Hop Stand Only

Cool recipe/technique. Continue posting updates

Cold crashed and kegged this one over the Holiday weekend. Decided to forgo the gelatin treatment…

The beer is good. Probably the best way to sum it up would be that this beer tastes more commercial or professional. I was really hoping the hop stand would “pop” the hop flavors that the pros seem to achieve that I haven’t done as well as I would like. You know, amplify the bright fruity flavors of the hops. I like what the hops stand does but it didn’t really do this. I also agree that it is kind of hard to pinpoint what actually a hopstand does to a beer. Kinda mysterious in a good way… I can however say with some certainty that the hopstand does a great job achieving what is does using less hops than heavy late additions.

There is some hop aroma but it is way more subdued than a dryhop. Some might call this a more refined aroma. I would not consider a hop stand a substitute for dry hopping at all.

Happy I added some bittering hops as the hop stand did not add nearly much bitterness as I expected. I concur the hopstand IBU wise is close to a 5 (or maybe 10) minute addition like shadetree suggested. You will need bittering hops if want a hop bite.

Overall a worthy technique I will use again. Next IPA I am thinking something like a 4oz 20 minute addition, 4oz hop stand (60 minutes), and 4oz dry hop.

[quote=“zwiller”]Cold crashed and kegged this one over the Holiday weekend. Decided to forgo the gelatin treatment…

The beer is good. Probably the best way to sum it up would be that this beer tastes more commercial or professional. I was really hoping the hop stand would “pop” the hop flavors that the pros seem to achieve that I haven’t done as well as I would like. You know, amplify the bright fruity flavors of the hops. I like what the hops stand does but it didn’t really do this. I also agree that it is kind of hard to pinpoint what actually a hopstand does to a beer. Kinda mysterious in a good way… I can however say with some certainty that the hopstand does a great job achieving what is does using less hops than heavy late additions.

There is some hop aroma but it is way more subdued than a dryhop. Some might call this a more refined aroma. I would not consider a hop stand a substitute for dry hopping at all.

Happy I added some bittering hops as the hop stand did not add nearly much bitterness as I expected. I concur the hopstand IBU wise is close to a 5 (or maybe 10) minute addition like shadetree suggested. You will need bittering hops if want a hop bite.

Overall a worthy technique I will use again. Next IPA I am thinking something like a 4oz 20 minute addition, 4oz hop stand (60 minutes), and 4oz dry hop.[/quote]

what kind of water are you using, that has a large effect on hoppy beers…well all beers actually

Brewed this one sans meter, but water was tap (120ppm bicarb) adjusted with gypsum to mash pH of 5.3, batch sparge acidified to pH 5.5 with 85% phosphoric acid, and boil adjusted to 300ppm sulfate with gypsum. All measurements made by estimation in Bru’n water.

I decided to use this technique yesterday on a dipa. Ive never done a long steep, a few times I let the flame out hops sit for like 15 mins before cooling. This time I formed the recipe to account for a decent amount of ibus comming from the steep. I havent been this excited about a brew in a while, it smelled awesome. I put the steep hops in beersmith as six min additions to help me guess the ibus. Here is the recipe:

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/13/2012
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Brewer: Byron
Boil Size: 14.84 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Cooler (12 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
27.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 69.62 %
5.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 12.66 %
3.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.59 %
2.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.5 IBU
4.00 oz bravo [14.00 %] (6 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
4.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (6 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
4.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (6 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
4.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (6 min) Hops 5.6 IBU