First taste out of keg different than when went in

This is my fifth kegged batch and the first one I’ve had this happen on. I brewed the Plinian Legacy 3/2/14 and kegged it 4/12/14. Gravity was at 1.015 for a week so I know it was done. It sat for two weeks in the keg at cellar temp until I had a spot available in the kegerator. I put it in the kegerator Monday and pulled a sample last night when I swapped out my other keg to see how the carbonation was coming along. When it went into the keg, it tasted and smelled amazing albeit flat. Last night, it had a very sweet taste to it that it didn’t have when it went into the keg three weeks ago. It did go into a used corny I purchased the week before kegging that I washed out and sanitized before I racked into it. This is the first time that I’ve had beer taste different out of the keg than when it went in. I pulled about two pints worth over 3-5 samples as the first few are typically not as clear. Any ideas what would cause a beer to become sweeter or is it just getting through the initial few pours and I’m worried over nothing? :lol:

:cheers:
Rad

Lot’s of possible technical explanations (co2 levels, temperature, gremlins, etc.) but other than those things I’ve found that both the time of day and what (if anything) I’ve eaten before hand can have a pretty significant effect on the perceived taste of a beer.

Can you please tell me more about this? :smiley:

I agree with the above. Especially the CO2. Never judge a beer until you get it carbed as it can change drastically.

How did the corny keg smell? I’ve had used corny kegs with an overwhelming smell of 7up, or root beer.

Both used kegs that I just bought from my LHBS had a small bit of brownish liquid on the bottom when I opened them up which I assumed (I know, first mistake) was iodaphor. It definitely didn’t have any kind of sweet smell. I filled them both about halfway with hot water and shook them up but didn’t use PBW. Then I rinsed and put in star san, shook and purged out through the beer lines with CO2. In the future I will be putting them on the keg washer before filling. Thankfully, the beer has smoothed out and the cloying sweetness I originally noticed has disappeared. I checked it again last night and it’s carbed to where I want it but still slightly green. Should be good to go for this weekend. :stuck_out_tongue:

:cheers:
Rad