First recipe IPA?

Hey guys,

I’m a new brewer and decided take a shot at a IPA or some random concoction that makes it to my belly. I’ve only brewed extract kits with specialty grains.

I was hoping to fit into the IPA profile but don’t have much knowledge on which grains, extracts or hops to use other than what little I’ve read. Any thoughts or critiques on my recipe would be greatly appreciated.

Malt Extracts:

Briess Organic C-60L 0.5lbs steep 20mins (in muslin mesh bag)
Northern Brewer Organic Light Malt Syrup 6lbs boil 60mins
Briess Organic Light DME 2lbs boil 30mins

Hops:

Citra Hops Pellets 1.5oz boil 60mins
Cascade Hops Pellets 2oz boil 40mins
Citra Hops Pellets 1oz boil 30mins
Cascade Hops Pellets 2oz boil 20mins
Citra Hops Pellets 0.5oz boil 10mins
Willamette Hops Pellets 2oz dry hop 5-7 days in second carboy

Yeast:

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Cheers,
Ben

With all that extract I would add at least 1/2 lb. sugar to dry it out a bit.

As for the hops.
1oz. Citra at 60
1oz. Cascade at 10
1oz. Willamette at 10
.5oz. Citra at 5
1oz. Cascade at 0
1oz. Willamette at 0
.5oz. Citra at 0
Dry hop with 2oz. Cascade or 1oz. Cascade and .5oz. Citra.

Well this is what I would do with the ingredients that you have. Should make a tasty IPA.
Good luck with your brew and welcome to the forum.

there is no way I’d use citra at 60 min its a flavor, aroma hop. use a high alfa acid hop like magnum or warrior at 60. American IPA’s imho should have American hops for flavor and aroma. so use your citra and cascades at the end of the boil (your flavor and aroma hops). Try a combination of citra and cascades at 15,10,5 and 0, then dry hop with the same hops.

So I throw the sugar into the boil? Should I do that @60 and does it matter what kind of sugar?
I’ve been plugging all of my ingredients into Brewers Friend and trying to get an idea of what it’s looking like. I selected 1/2 lb corn sugar because I don’t know what differences there are…any thoughts on that?

Also I messed around and changed the LME and DME to extra light instead of light to help bring down the SRM. Should I stick with that or bump it back to light?

As far as the hop schedule, I added Magnum for my bittering hops and changed the schedule according:

2oz. Magnum at 60
1.5oz. Citra at 15
1oz. Cascade at 10
1oz. cascade at 0
1oz. Citra at 0
2oz Willamette dry hop (3 days)
0.5oz Citra dry hop (3 days)

Is my dry hopping long enough? I’m using pellet (not sure if that matters)

Thank you so much for the replies and advice.

That hop schedule looks better than the first, not a big fan of Willamette as a dry hop in American IPAs but sure give it a try. Its best to dry hop for 1-2 weeks.

Alright I think I will stick to that schedule but pull the willamette hops out and up the citra dry hop to 2oz and let it dry hop for 2 weeks.

It will be sometime before I get a chance to brew this recipe but I will sure let you guys know how it turns out!

Cheers,
Ben

Citra is a high AA hop. My pellets are at 13.7% and my leaf is at 14.8%. Citra can have a pleasant bite to it like Chinook. The OP stated 3 types of hops to use and I picked Citra without blinking an eye. Indeed the best part about Citra is the flavor and aroma but it is a good bittering hop as well.
If the OP wants a smooth bitterness then Magnum or Warrior is the way to go.
If the OP wants a little hop bite to the bittering then Citra or Chinook among others will work fine. Remember that I used the hops given by the OP. If he is going to pick up more hops then I could suggest buying some other types as well. Like Chinook or Columbus for bittering. Etc.
Citra is a fine bittering hop.[quote=“anberlin06”][quote=“wallybeer”]With all that extract I would add at least 1/2 lb. sugar to dry it out a bit.[/quote]

So I throw the sugar into the boil? Should I do that @60 and does it matter what kind of sugar?
I’ve been plugging all of my ingredients into Brewers Friend and trying to get an idea of what it’s looking like. I selected 1/2 lb corn sugar because I don’t know what differences there are…any thoughts on that?

Also I messed around and changed the LME and DME to extra light instead of light to help bring down the SRM. Should I stick with that or bump it back to light?

[/quote]
I like to use corn sugar and disolve it the kettle before it comes to a boil. I’m a big fan of using honey as well. I do full volume boils and have plenty of room.
I think It’s a very good Idea to use extra light DME/LME. The lighter the better and make sure It’s fresh.

[quote]I like to use corn sugar and disolve it the kettle before it comes to a boil. I’m a big fan of using honey as well. I do full volume boils and have plenty of room.
I think It’s a very good Idea to use extra light DME/LME. The lighter the better and make sure It’s fresh.[/quote]

So I’ll stick with corn sugar and the extra light DME/LME. It should be fresh. I’m currently deployed but when I get back in a couple months I’ll be ordering it from NB just before I return so it’s there as soon as I get back. If you’re still checking up on this post by then I’ll be sure to leave a review of how my homebrew turns out!

I’ll try the magnum this go around and order enough for a second batch and try citra on my next batch to see the difference.

Does adding the honey affect the flavor of the brew at all if you add it during/before boil?

Also, I’ve looked at rice syrup solids to up ABV. It won’t be going into this recipe but wasn’t sure if it only has an effect on the gravity or if it will have effects on the flavor and other parts of the beer as well.

[quote=“anberlin06”][quote]I like to use corn sugar and disolve it the kettle before it comes to a boil. I’m a big fan of using honey as well. I do full volume boils and have plenty of room.
I think It’s a very good Idea to use extra light DME/LME. The lighter the better and make sure It’s fresh.[/quote]

So I’ll stick with corn sugar and the extra light DME/LME. It should be fresh. I’m currently deployed but when I get back in a couple months I’ll be ordering it from NB just before I return so it’s there as soon as I get back. If you’re still checking up on this post by then I’ll be sure to leave a review of how my homebrew turns out!

[/quote]
Please do. Brewing your own beer is fun to do and you get a nice reward at the end.
NB’s extract was very fresh when I bought it. I’m an all-grainer now. You’ll be good to go with NB. The Honey will give no flavor at all in the boil. I have never used Rice syrup solids.
I thank you for your service to our country. Stay safe. Stay strong and Godspeed to you.

[quote=“wallybeer”][quote=“anberlin06”][quote]I like to use corn sugar and disolve it the kettle before it comes to a boil. I’m a big fan of using honey as well. I do full volume boils and have plenty of room.

[/quote]
Please do. Brewing your own beer is fun to do and you get a nice reward at the end.
NB’s extract was very fresh when I bought it. I’m an all-grainer now. You’ll be good to go with NB. The Honey will give no flavor at all in the boil. I have never used Rice syrup solids.
I thank you for your service to our country. Stay safe. Stay strong and Godspeed to you.[/quote]

I appreciate that! Do you think it’s safe to order the ingredients roughly 2 weeks to a month prior to getting back? I would be doing the brew within the first two weeks of being home during my R&R.

Thanks for all the advice, you’ve been a great help.

This evolving recipe has me ready for an IPA at 9 a.m.

Godspeed bro.