First full boil

Well did my first full boil it was the NB Irish Red extract.Things I learned. boil overs are a pain in the a$$, wort chillers are worth their weight i gold. Used my newly made wort chiller and with a ice bath it only took about six gal of tap water to chill it down below 75. PBW is awesome stuff.

I’m nervous about my beer because i came in under gravity it called for 1044 and i came in 1040 @72deg i am gonna check my hydrometer later. Also this is the first beer i haven’t bumped up.

At todays prices i have about $45 in supplies building a chiller out of 1/2" with supplies at home depot

All good observations. My new IC cost about that much. I’ve learned that if you whirlpool during chilling (by stirring or pump recirculation) you get a much faster temp drop.

With temp correction your gravity is around 1.041, so not that far off. Could’ve been due to boil over. did you top up at all to meet your volume, that could account for the lost 3 points.

Simple gravity correction calc here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

[quote=“dsidab81”]With temp correction your gravity is around 1.041, so not that far off. Could’ve been due to boil over. did you top up at all to meet your volume, that could account for the lost 3 points.

Simple gravity correction calc here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/[/quote]
yes i topped off before the end of boil so thats where i figure i lost my points.

@ tom I did whirlpool the last few minutes with my paint stirrur and drill that is also how i aeorate

Well I opened the fridge today and noticed I used the wrong yeast in my Irish red. No doubt it will be good with 05

I never used the irish ale yeast, but using US-05 on this one prepare for monster attenuation. 05 has seriously been chewing through some worts for me lately.
Either way 05 will attenuate and drop out quickly, but won’t offer much in the way of flavor/

:cheers:

Ya I’ve got a nottingham in the fridge I need to find a plan for. 05 is my favorite yeast so far, by the way I’ll be mailing your package out Monday