First Brew Ever!

This is my first time brewing! I’m using the starter kit and Mangrove Apple Cider kit. I followed all of the instructions to the letter. I’m curious and concerned about the smell of the cider, it’s a little bit funky, like sweet and sweaty socks? Is a slight funk normal?

Proberly the yeast you do smell

4 Likes

I agree with @wilcolandzaat. Active fermentation can give you so funky smells from the yeast. Give it time. That’s the hardest part when you first start…. I would suggest buying another fermenter and getting another batch of beer, wine, or cider going. This will divert a little attention from the only batch you have going as well as give you some supply so you don’t rush batches.

2 Likes

Fermenting cider will through some sulfer especially if you use wine yeast. Fermenting wine smells like farts the first week or so. I start my wine and cider out in the garage for that reason. Beer fermentation is much sweeter. The good news is the odor is not generally indicative of the taste

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick reply everyone!
I have another newbie question, we just finished bottling the cider, one fizzy drop per bottle. At the bottom of the six gallon fermenting bucket there was about a quarter inch of gunk and dark spots on the gunk. Is this normal? Thanks for your patience and help!

Yep totally normal!

1 Like

Thanks! So now just store the bottles at room temp for two weeks before moving to the fridge? For ultimate carbonation?

At least 2 weeks. And those drops have a tendency to settle so I would invert the bottles once per day to encourage them to dissolve. Like I said. PATIENCE. Get another batch going and forget about this one for a month before popping it into the fridge for a couple weeks. The cold will drop the yeast and trub to the bottom of the bottle and you can pour your cider off that gently so it will be clearer while the nasty remains in the bottom of open the bottle.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks!