Back to Shopping at

First batch of Caribou Slobber

I just brewed my first batch last night. I think I messed up a bit along the way and was wondering if someone might know what I can expect when the batch is done if I follow instructions correctly the rest of the way. Just wondering how big the mistakes were and how much of an effect it will have on the quality of the beer.

I forgot to aerate the wort after it was transferred to the carboy. I pitched the yeast right after transfer of the wort to the carboy. I also added a couple of quarts of water after the yeast was pitched and swirled everything around a bit to mix things up. I think I was pretty good about following all of the other instructions.

I am also wondering about the fermentation. I noticed when I woke up this morning that the fermentation process seems pretty vigorous. Lots of Kreuzen. This was about 8 hours after it was put in the carboy. Not sure if this is normal to start this soon, but was wondering if anyone had ideas about this, based on the mistakes I made above. I think the kit said fermentation would start in one to two days, so I was kind of surprised that it was so active after what I thought was a short period of time.

Your fine. It is really difficult to botch a batch of beer. Remember, they have been making beer for 100’s of years with very little of the knowledge we have.

Did you “dump” the wort from the boil pot into the fermenter (pail or carboy)? If so, this provided a decent amount of oxygen for the yeast.

If your temps are warm, the yeast will start their party faster than when cold. Try to keep the temps down below 70*, mid 60’s are even better. A tub of water and frozen soda bottles are inexpensive to use. A T-shirt over the fermenter also helps with evaporation cooling.

See my signature line for more ideas on keeping the fermenter temp in check.

I did pour the wort from the kettle directly in to the carboy, so I guess that will take care of the needed oxygen. I guess the temperature in the fermenter may be a little high. The fermometer on the carboy says 72 degrees, so I will try to get the temp down a little lower with your suggestions.

I Feel your pain! I just brewed some caribo slobber and Im a new bee. I had a lot of questions and was a little concerned about the out come of the final product. All that said, I fermented at 72 for 3 weeks…Bottled and tested a week after bottling…all I can say is wow!! It is really good… My thoughts keep it simple, and as they say when you start to worry…have a home brew! This is a great place to ask questions as there are a lot of people to help you. It is easier than I had thought.Good luck.

As always …Gobrewyourself

I put the carboy in my bathtub. Put water in the bathtub about 2 inches up from the bottom of the carboy. Temperature is now down to 66°. Just went and bought one of those keg buckets at Lowe’s. Plan on using that in the future with just water. Talked with somebody at the local homebrew store they gave me some other ideas as well.

I went ahead and transferred my beer into smaller carboy for secondary fermentation after 2 weeks. As I was transferring the beer I noticed a pretty strong banana aroma. I think I read somewhere that this could be a problem with fermentation temperature. Too warm. Any ideas on what I can expect when I’m ready to drink the beer. Is the batch ruined?

Ruined? hopefully no. The extra esters causing the banana may be a bit funky; but it may work OK in that recipe. CS is a recipe that can cover a lot of faults. If it get’s into turpentine-flavor, then it’s just about what can you tolerate. This batch definitely won’t be as delicious as your next; the first batch is never as good as the second. So just plan ahead for how good you’ll feel then.
On the bright side, you’re primary fermenter is available now, so whenever you’re ready… :cheers:

Back to Shopping at