0.50 lb Cara-Rye (175.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 lb Wheat (Midnight) (550.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 oz Magnum [13.00%] (90 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (25 min) Hops 24.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (25 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) Hops -
1.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop#1 3 days) Hops -remove then add dryhop #2
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop#1 3 days) Hops -remove then add dryhop #2
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop #2 4 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop #2 4 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [Starter 2500 ml]

Mash @ 145-148 for 60 min
Increase to 155 for 10 min, then sparge

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 39.6 SRM
Bitterness: 61.8 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 8.6 %

Ferment at ~62 for 10 days.

I would like to ask about some yeast options. I buy all my liquid yeast from my LHBS and they only carry wyeast. I see that WL002 is the same strain as WY1968 London ESB(Fullers). In case they are out of this yeast do I have any other options like another british strain, maybe an american strain or even dry yeast like Safale s-04? I dont want to brew this beer and be wrong on the yeast. I want to come as close to Wooky as i can. Just wondering if there is any other options, Just in case. Cheers.

WLP007 would be the best, but for Wyeast you could use 1098 or 1335. Probably raise your mash temp to at least 150 for these strains. I don’t think I would ferment any cooler than 64-65F. S-04 is probably ok as well but I have never used it. :cheers:

This is an amazing beer! Please post results. I love to drink it, but the price of it is starting to hurt per bottle.

I buy my base grain and hops in bulk wich helps to keep the cost down. Doing some quick math on the grain/hop bill puts me around $30-$35. That’s alot better than $8 a bomber.

Brewing some Wooky next weekend and i can’t wait.

Edit to say that my LHBS is selling amarillo for $3.99 an oz. YIKES! I still have some from the 2012 crop but when that’s gone…

My LHBS does carry 1968 so I’ll give them a call when they re-open on tuesday. If they are out of stock I’ll go with s-04 since i have a few packs laying around.

Anyone out there do any side by side’s with different Yeast for this beer? I would love to hear from ya.
Hoppy Holidaze

My WY1968 yeast starter is ready and I’ll start brewing in a couple hrs. I’m doing it just like skeezer has posted. Wyeast site said to do a " thorough diacetyl rest after fermentation is complete" Ok, will do.
I will also watch my ferm temp. Wyeast says no lower than 64.

If anyone cares: Firestone Walker is a family company that has descended from a prominent wine culture in California. With this it’s important to know that ALL of their beers are barrel conditioned.

“If anyone cares: Firestone Walker is a family company that has descended from a prominent wine culture in California. With this it’s important to know that ALL of their beers are barrel conditioned.”

brew Notes

style
Unfiltered Black Rye IPA
abv
8.3%
ibu
color
[b]fermentation
100% Stainless Steel[/b]
malts
Pale Malt, Malted Rye, Dash of Cara-Rye, Midnight Wheat from Briess, De-Bittered Black Malt (Weyermann - Germany/Patagonia malting - Chile), Dash of Wookey dust
hops
German Magnum (bittering), Citra & Amarillo (flavor/aroma and double dry-hopped)

I’ve been grossly misinformed!!!

It seems like i’m stuck at 1.018, stirred the yeast up and took it to a higher ambient air temp.
Thats ok, I have 2 more weeks to go, we’ll see. this ESB strain is a son of a gun.

By the way… the beer sample is freaking awesome!!!

I am getting ready to brew this again. I did a side by side on the first shot and it damn near spot on. Actually, I couldn’t tell a difference. There is a long thread over on HBT about it.

[quote=“Edelstoff”]“If anyone cares: Firestone Walker is a family company that has descended from a prominent wine culture in California. With this it’s important to know that ALL of their beers are barrel conditioned.”

brew Notes

style
Unfiltered Black Rye IPA
abv
8.3%
ibu
color
[b]fermentation
100% Stainless Steel[/b]
malts
Pale Malt, Malted Rye, Dash of Cara-Rye, Midnight Wheat from Briess, De-Bittered Black Malt (Weyermann - Germany/Patagonia malting - Chile), Dash of Wookey dust
hops
German Magnum (bittering), Citra & Amarillo (flavor/aroma and double dry-hopped)[/quote]

I was just re-reading the section in “Yeast” where I thought I read differently. I think we’re both right. According to Zainasheff Firestone Walker uses a process borrowed from the English fermenting style called Burton Union. In Firestone Union (their version) fermentation they ferment in stainless steel cylindroconical fermenters for 24 hours and then transfer the beer to wooden barrels for most of the fermentation until they need to transfer it back into the stainless steel for “cold stabilization and further yeast removal.”

I wonder if the 100% stainless steel comment is about how the fermentors are composed of 100% stainless… dunno why they’d leave their patented process out of the picture.

Some of their beers are barrel aged, some are not. Their website is pretty good at describing which are and which aren’t, such as Wooky Jack. Some of them are more complicated, such as Pale 31, which is a stainless brewed pale ale (sold at Trader Joe’s as Mission Street Pale Ale), blended with Double Barrel, which is brewed in their oak brewing system.

All this Firestone walker talk is making me thirsty!

I don’t know if they do all of their beers in barrels, but they definitely use them. They use what they call a modified Burton Union setup. Number one on my brewery tour wish list.

I’ve recently seen their porter up for grabs. Anyone here try it?

For anyone who has brewed this, I am curious about the calculated SRM. The recipe listed here has a SRM calculated to be 39.6, but it is listed as 45 SRM on the Firestone Walker website. My own calculations (using Beersmith) come out to 35.7 SRM, but this is lower due to Cara-rye having a much lower SRM than the 175 listed on the recipe here. So, how does the color compare? Just trying to decide if I should up the Carafa III and the Midnight Wheat. Also, did anyone add the roasted malt at the end of the mash?

The SRM on my carafa III is listed between 488 to 563, thats a wide window it seems.
I picked 525 for my program but I can’t be sure about this, which kinda sucks.

I had to use crystal rye instead of cara rye because that’s all my brewshop carried. I did’nt realize the SRM difference until I started to work on the recipe.
The SRM on the crystal rye is between 70 and 80 SRM, alot different than the 175 listed.
I picked 75 for my program, and I got 39 SRM for this beer.

I kept the amounts the same as posted and who knows what the true SRM actually is.
It looks close enough for me, besides, I’m chasing flavor not color. A few points off with the SRM won’t hurt my feelings at all.

I mashed all the grain for 70 minutes.

I plan on starting my dry hops today, a little bit different than what’s posted.

Cheers.

Thanks wallybeer. I will likely also be using crystal rye, since it is much easier to get a hold of. I believe the crystal rye is Simpson’s, and is listed as 83.1 - 150.6 L.

I emailed Matt Brynildson with a few questions, and will post any good additional info I receive.

Sorry if it’s been mentioned already. Did you make this recipe yourself? or did you get it via firestone?