Finished Beer PH

Some good data. Thanks for sharing. To me, it is interesting that SN aims for 5.1-5.3 in the mash which can be construed as kettle pH which translates to a KO wort pH of 4.9-5.1. Perhaps you’re right and it is a low acid producer and SN is aware of this. I think that their target is quite low for ales…

I have been brewing quite a while but just learned that Chico throws peach ester at low temps. I got some in my current IPA. I am moving away from Chico for awhile and gonna try WL007.

It would be really cool to collect more data with other strains to identify the pH impact of strains of yeast during fermentation.

[quote=“zwiller”]Some good data. Thanks for sharing. To me, it is interesting that SN aims for 5.1-5.3 in the mash which can be construed as kettle pH which translates to a KO wort pH of 4.9-5.1. Perhaps you’re right and it is a low acid producer and SN is aware of this. I think that their target is quite low for ales…

I have been brewing quite a while but just learned that Chico throws peach ester at low temps. I got some in my current IPA. I am moving away from Chico for awhile and gonna try WL007.

It would be really cool to collect more data with other strains to identify the pH impact of strains of yeast during fermentation.[/quote]
I have encountered a peachy-mango character when using US05 too cool. I have not seen this in 1056 or WLP001 so I was VERY surprised when a blonde ale I made awhile back turned out to be a peachy blonde. So much so that some people drinking it said, “Mmm, love that peachy flavor!” :lol:

EDIT: On the topic of Pacifico specifically, I understand it’s a very light & nondescript beer that most beer snobs would turn their nose up at & I get it. But it has a character that I have often wondered about. I will have it in my bar fridge in the summer especially if I don’t have anything lighter on tap. I would drink it and wonder how they got that flavor. Is it the yeast, the hops, an additive or adjunct that they use, something in their water or some other ingredient. No. It’s the finished beer pH… it’s very low. So even if you don’t want to brew Pacifico, you may still want that character in a German or European pilsner that you make and that’s how you get it. Also, I mentioned this in another thread as well… if you have a beer in a keg that is ‘flabby’ and doesn’t have that snap to it, you can “back-acid” the beer. I just did this on a blonde ale that was just a little flat-tasting. Dropped about 40 drops of lactic acid right into the keg and it did that beer up righteous. I got a much better character out of it and it occurs to me that this is just a flavor component that my tastebuds like and something that I look for in a beer. It’s not for everyone nor is it for every beer. Cheers.

Check out pages 14 and 15 of this presentation from Weyermann: http://www.weyermann.de/downloads/pdf/W … H_2010.pdf

Page 14 states that beers with finished pH values at or below 4.4 have greater foam stability and head retention.

Page 15 gives finished pH ranges for a couple of different beer styles. The top of the page says “Mash pH Targets,” but I think that is a typo.

I don’t know how accurate this information is, but it seemed interesting.