Filter out the junk from dry hopping

I have a IPA that called for dry hopping once transfered to the secondary. I dumped the hops directly into the secondary. I have noticed a lot of “floaties” throughout the entire carboy. Any suggestions on what to do as to filter so I dont have to chew a salad while drinking?

Use a piece of cheese cloth or chunk of paint strainer and a rubber band on the bottom of the racking cane. Others use pantyhose as well.

Put the fermenter in a fridge for a couple days to get them to settle.

should the airlock remain, or should I put a solid bung in the carboy?

You can leave the airlock in place except in Better Bottles (which will partially collapse under the vacuum). Or you can cover with a piece of foil.

Thanks! I will try this first!

I did some reading on this awhile ago and ended up using a nylon 5 gallon paint strainer bag. I sanitized it with my other equipment, lined my bottling bucket with it, and racked right on top of it. When I was done racking, I lifted it out. I thought about just covering the racking cane, but I saw some posts from people that ran into clogs.

I do the paint strainer bag thing all the time and it works great. You might still get some really fine particles through the mesh, but they will generally drop out with the yeast. If they don’t all drop out with the yeast, a little bit of cold conditioning in the bottle will get the rest to drop out.

95% of the time, I dry hop in a muslin (for flowers) or nylon (for pellets) bag.

+1. If you are dry hopping in a bucket or keg this works pretty good at keeping stuff out.

What vacuum it’d suck air back into the bottle.

What vacuum it’d suck air back into the bottle.[/quote]

If you used the complete BB system, they have a dry airlock that is a one way valve.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/bett ... osure.html

If I was made of money I’d do just that. Then I’d have my butler burp the BBs. Or maybe the french maid, yeah that sounds better.

I just soak a piece of paper towel in star San I put that over the neck of the better bottle then I put tin foil over that. Then I cold crash.

Why bother with the paper towel?

Cold crashing seems to be the path of least resistance in my book.

Just because the better bottles create a vacuum so I figured it would work as a filter plus its just how I’ve done it for along time and I haven’t had an infection. It only takes a couple seconds to do. [quote=“Denny”][quote=“GoldenChild”]I just soak a piece of paper towel in star San I put that over the neck of the better bottle then I put tin foil over that. Then I cold crash.[/quote]

Why bother with the paper towel?[/quote]