Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Filling growler from keg

I have a keg with a picnic tap on it. If I want to fill a growler just to bring to a buddies house for the night can I just pour it in with the picnic tap and put the cap on? Has anybody tried this? Will the beer stay carbonated? I’m thinking it would be fine for a few hours but would like to know for sure. Thanks

That will work just fine. I like to lower the pressure to fill the growler- this helps to reduce foaming. The growler should stay pretty well carbonated for a day or two in the growler.

Place your growler in the refrigerator several hours before hand.

Disconnect the keg from the gas, release the pressure from the keg and drop the regulator to 2-3psi. Place a bottling wand in the picnic tap and pour the beer into the growler.

This should limit the foaming of the beer.

Thanks for the help!

Just my opinion, but it will help keep the carbonation, at least in the beginning to fill the growler almost to the top, eliminating as much head space as possible.

I put a piece of tubing on my picnic tap drop my pressure and fill from the bottom of the growler. Works really well! Good luck!!

[quote=“djkevvy”]That will work just fine. I like to lower the pressure to fill the growler- this helps to reduce foaming. The growler should stay pretty well carbonated for a day or two in the growler.[/quote]I have some that have been in the growler for more than a year. The other night we opened one up and it was perfectly carbed. You have to use the right kind of cap though. White metal cap with quality seal that looks like a bead of caulk.

+1

I haven’t let them go a year but 4-5 months with no issues at all.

FWIW, I just sanitze the bottle, put a bottling wand in the picnic tap and fill. I never chill the bottle or lower the pressure, and usually only get about a 1/4" or less of head in the growler while filling.

I think ill try the bottling wand method for filling the growler. Thats great news that the beer will last a while. Since I only have one keg If I need to use the keg and its not empty yet I’ll just fill some bottles with whats left so I can use the keg again. Thanks for the replies.

I need to do this ^^^. Every thing is kegged now and I’d like to share with family and friends but have been concerned that they’d have flat beer if not consumed within a very short period of time.

:cheers:

I need to do this ^^^. Every thing is kegged now and I’d like to share with family and friends but have been concerned that they’d have flat beer if not consumed within a very short period of time.

:cheers: [/quote]
I have used the bottling wand method; 2 months later I still had good carb.

+1

I haven’t let them go a year but 4-5 months with no issues at all.

FWIW, I just sanitze the bottle, put a bottling wand in the picnic tap and fill. I never chill the bottle or lower the pressure, and usually only get about a 1/4" or less of head in the growler while filling.[/quote]

I just did this today for the first time as a test and it works great. I have a picnic tap just sitting with a ball lock end and I tried putting the bottle filler in and it fit snugly, no leaks and filled the growler in no time with no foam. Relieve the bleeder on the keg first and you get less foam.

Greg, can you recommend where to get these caps online?

edit: never mind, found them at FH Steinbart’s… 8)

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com