Figured out mishaps...I think

I have watching John Palmer on youtube since my last brew mishaps. I see that I need a false bottom to keep settled in the bottom. I am fairly new with sparging , I see that I did this batch wrong. I drained all the wort out, instead of taking out a few pitchers and recirculate. I need to rinse the grains with the right temp. What I was doing; after sparging I would just add water to the kettle to make the boil.
If anybody has any other teaching videos please share. Just trying to fine tune.

Keep researching. That is the best way to learn the proper procedures to follow and how they affect the final product. That is one of the most enjoyable parts of this hobby. Besides that you end up with beer as well! What a deal.

1 Like

Practice, practice, practice… You’ll hone in on your craft… You are going in the right direction by reading, watching and asking questions! Sneezles61

1 Like

What are you trying to do, batch sparge or fly sparge?

Tell us your process and goals and we can help you process wise.

1 Like

Trying to make my the best I can. Sparging is away that I found out to make better beer. I have been doing batch sparging. I finding that I need to get other equipment and that is ok. Trying to fine tune techniques. Right now I am not concern with gravity numbers. Beer making is a process for me. I think later on in this journey, numbers will be important. Technique, technique.

1 Like

False bottom is a great thing to have. I BIAB and still love my false bottom.

Keep on brewing. The more you read on the internet. Books. And watch on youtube. And here on this forum. You learn. From mistakes. You become perfect

1 Like

If you batch sparge visit dennybrew.com. It’s @denny site that explains batch sparging.

If your batch sparging I would go with a SS braided hose over a false bottom.

3 Likes

I agree with loopie. Batch sparging works fine if done properly. It does not require a false bottom. You could use one if you liked.

2 Likes

Indeed practice practice. But numbers are important as well to see if you are on the right track. Like og. Fg. Preboil grav. One of the fun part. Of brewing. Creating your own recipy. And it turns out a nice beer. As well figur out your boil off rate as well. Good luck on your. New hobby. And cheers

I do have a ss braided hose cover. I do not have a loop, but a tail like. I did not know there were ss hose clamp. I think with a false bottom it will keep the screen on the bottom.