Fermention?

Hello I have a Freezer that I am going to use for fermenting ales in it an I have a Ranco dual temp controller … But here my ? i know freezer will cooler below the ale’s temp that I want to ferment at so I was thinking of putting a space heater in the freezer an have the heater plug into my temp controller an also the freezer plug to it to an what should i set the controller to let say I want to ferment at 62F I set the cold to 62F an what do i set the one that going to do the Heating to. Basic what i am trying to do is keep my fermention to with in one F of what i what to ferment at

Wait What? If you have a ranco dual temp controller all you need is to set the temperature on the controller to shut off when your freezer reaches 62F. Obviously we know that a freezer can get down below 32F so that is what your temp controller is for. If your temp controller has already been wired then all you need do is plug the freezer into the temp controller and place the temperature probe inside of the freezer. Your temp controller should also have a feature that allows you controller how much of a difference between your set temperature. There is no need for a space heater in your freezer.

Here is a helpful video on how to properly set and use your ranco dual temp controller. http://morebeer.com/view_product/16664/ … er_-_Wired

Depending on the ambient temps of his location… It is very possible, in a shed or garage, for temps to be in the 30-40s or 50s at which point he may actually need a heat source inside the freezer to keep the temps from dropping below the min. range.

I live in NE and keep my home made kegerator in the garage. I use a 100 watt lightbulb in a aluminum reflector (home depot) that is on a timer that kicks on every 8 hours for 20 minutes to add some warmth to the freezer. You could do the same thing to help raise the temp in your fermenting freezer.

Depending on the ambient temps of his location… It is very possible, in a shed or garage, for temps to be in the 30-40s or 50s at which point he may actually need a heat source inside the freezer to keep the temps from dropping below the min. range.[/quote]

Yep! My fermentation fridge is keeping my beer at about 62/63 if I leave it alone. Don’t have the Ranco but use two Johnson controllers. One on the fridge and one on a fremwrap. Have them both set to the same temp. 66 degrees. Looking at getting a Ranco.