So I would have to assume that I am being the paranoid first time brewer, but the fermentation on both of my one gallon brew kits has seemed quite off from the estimated times shown on the recipe. These have been my experiences on both an American Wheat kit and a Caribou Slobber kit:
- Following the directions, I am cooling the wort to about 65 degrees F, Fermometer on the one gallon jug is showing about 68, either way I am between the suggested 60-70 degree mark.
- I pitch about half of the yeast packet as per directions.
- Sanitize properly and add the air lock, then put in a closet where the air temp is around 65-67 degrees.
- I start to get airlock activity within about 4-5 hours.
- Krausen is full formed within about 9-10 hours, airlock is very active.
- By about hour number 24 airlock activity has fallen off drastically and the krausen is diminishing.
- Hour number 48 and I am seeing no activity in the airlock (which reading the other forums isn’t necessarily cause for concern) and the krausen is pretty much gone.
Is this normal for one gallon batches? Am I doing something wrong? The recipe says fermentation will take about a day to start, and finish 1-2 weeks later. Seems like mine is whipping by very fast. I am planning on leaving the beer in the fermentor for about 10 days, even though there seems to be no activity. Thanks for all your responses in advance, This forum is awesome!