Fermentation Time Question

I have a quick question concerning primary fermentation.
Usually at 7 days I transfer from primary to secondary but after watching my primary a little while ago I noticed the yeast keeps rising and falling. Also, I get a bubble in the airlock every 30-35 seconds.
Tomorrow is day 7 for this beer in primary but I wanted someones opinion on transferring while the yeast is still rising and falling.
I have heard you should transfer after primary fermentation but not when it is completely finished.
What is everyones take on this? Should I transfer or wait until the yeast stays settled at the bottom?

Take a hydrometer reading tomorrow. Then, 24 hours later take another. If the readings are the same, fermentation is complete. That is fact.

From then on it is opinion if one should transfer to a secondary, or, simply bottle or keg.

Airlock activity is not factual but is always interesting to watch.

[quote=“tiltrotor22”]I have a quick question concerning primary fermentation.
Usually at 7 days I transfer from primary to secondary but after watching my primary a little while ago I noticed the yeast keeps rising and falling. Also, I get a bubble in the airlock every 30-35 seconds.
Tomorrow is day 7 for this beer in primary but I wanted someones opinion on transferring while the yeast is still rising and falling.
I have heard you should transfer after primary fermentation but not when it is completely finished.
What is everyones take on this? Should I transfer or wait until the yeast stays settled at the bottom?[/quote]

It appears you are brewing still using old school thinking. The trend now is to NOT transfer until primary is 100% done, if at all. Most people go 2-3 weeks in primary.

Don’t ever rack your beer until fermentation is 100% complete.

200% complete, if you’re worried about diacetyl.

So, leaving it in the primary longer will absorb most of the diacetyl?

Yeah, yeast produces diacetyl during active fermentation, and then eats it again during “secondary fermentation”. So if you’ve got problems with diacetyl, one possible cause is racking too soon.

Ok, thanks.

Say my FG is the same three days in a row, but yeast chunks and particles keep floating up and falling, what does this mean? Is it cause yeast is light and breaks free and floats then falls? Is there a name for this??

I made a video of what it is doing. How long will this go on for and should I attempt a transfer before it is complete and not doing this?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... 1192415333