Fermentation Temperature Ranges

With the understanding that it is important to control the temperature of your fermentation to be within the optimum range for the particular yeast strain you are using, what is the best practice for yeasts with a large temperature range? For example, WYEAST 3726 Farmhouse Ale yeast has an optimum temp range of 70-95 degrees F. Will you get the same result for this yeast if you ferment at 72 vs. 92? It seems like an awefully large range to expect no difference in taste and fermentation rate.

Thanks for the replies!

In general, lower pitching and fermentation temps lead to cleaner results. So even if I was using a yeast with a 70-90F range, I would pitch in the mid 60s and then allow the temp to rise into the low 70s for the majority of fermentation, then maybe up to 80F to finish out. But you could certainly pitch in the 70s with the expectation that you’re going to get more character from the yeast.

That is a pretty huge range. For a farmhouse I’d say ferment higher but I’m not sure I’d go up to 95* nor do I think I possible could this time of year. Typically you will get a bit of a cleaner fermentation at the lower end of the spectrum and will get some more yeasty flavors/esters at the higher end I believe. So, what does that boil down to, it really depends on the beer your making, what you want out of it and what yeast you are using.

+1 on it depending upon the type of character you desire.

“Farmhouse” Ales used to be made in farmhouses/barns, etc., so the temp wasn’t always regulated, and this contributed to some of those ‘barnyardy’ characteristics now considered part of the style. These days, the yeast strains have been honed/genetically selected to impart these characteristics into a beer. If you want more yeast character, use a higher ferment temp…more subdued, use lower.

For instance, i did a 1.130 OG tripel with a saison yeast (WLP 566 / Saison II) with (I think) a similar temp range. I fermented this at 70 degrees (very low), and it took a month to ferment out. As it happened, the yeast dropped it to 1.016. I have subtle, but present saison characteristics, but that is what I was going for.