Fermentation temp restart?

We moved into a new house in October. First brew in the new house went perfectly. Second one went well enough, but the new cellar gets much colder than our old house. I used to have no issues keeping the wort above 64 degrees regardless of outside weather. This house, I’m accidentally dipping down to 58 or below. I just bought an external bucket heating pad, and will pair with an inkbird.

The beer started at 1.075 and is now stuck at 1.021, been there for half the day. that’s still a healthy 7ish% abv, but I expected closer to 9. It’s nowhere near the timeline for finish, I still expect another 6 days or so. Using 2 packets of dry yeast (safale us05), which should still have some attenuation left in it. If I implement the new heater and raise the temps to high 60s or so, is it possible that I jump start the fermentation again? Just trying to get those last bits of sweetness out

I agree, gradually increase the temperature and give it some more time and it should take off again.

1 Like

What style?
I’d say time to ramp right up to 68-ish… Take a while for that volume to reach that temp…
Sneezles61

It’s a stout (ale), going to add oak and bourbon in the future. Putting it on nitro for the first time ever. Trying to get something a little like dragons milk from new holland.

That style should finish higher… Being stuck at 1.021 for a half a day isn’t a stable reading… Looking at that for 3 days… then I would say its at FG… Nitro… I like stouts like that, served on Nitro… I’ll equate it to “liquid velvet”…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Agreed. Especially if the stout recipe included a lot of low fermentable crystal/specialty malts etc.

I agree to the velvet, super excited. I know stouts finish slightly higher, and I know it’s too early to tell. I just think the attenuation still has over 10% left to go, at a minimum. I don’t care about abv, I just don’t want it to be too sweet. I planned ahead for a higher attenuation, so my recipe would definitely be too sweet at 1.021. had a good amount of specialty malts, but over 12 pounds of 2-row pale malt too.

The heater gets here Saturday, I brewed last Saturday. So I’ll give it a shot, worst case is nothing happens. I just haven’t really done a re-heat, wanted to make sure its possible to wake the yeast up

We were colder than average this winter and I found myself in the unlikely situation here in Florida with the brewery too cold at times for ales (or starters) to ferment. So I started experimenting with Christmas lights under a towel or blanket, checking the temperature with a thermometer until I got it right. Worked like a charm. Something to consider until your heater gets there.

Yea any port in a storm, right? My heater will be here on Saturday, and I already own a spare inkbird. Until then, old fashioned blanket wraps and placing near a heating register. We don’t put the heat up too high cuz it’s damn expensive, but if I can keep it around 62 til then, 7 days into fermentation shouldn’t kill me too bad. I’ll do what I can to keep it near 68 or so, see if I can eke out a few more % points for attenuation. I’m not going to add any dme or anything, I just want to make sure it doesn’t taste like sugar water

1 Like

Heat up some damp towels in the micro wave… ? place under/around the bottom?
Sneezles61