Fermentation Temp for NB Honey Kolsch

Brewing NB’s Honey Kolsch with US-05 yeast and looking for some thoughts on the ideal fermentation temp for both the primary and secondary.

Thanks…

US-05 is best in the low 60’s to 65. Then since it’s a kolsch and you want it super clean and super clear, I would cold crash and let it sit for 2-3 weeks after you’ve reached FG before packaging.

2 Likes

Us-05 is reported to throw a peach ester at temps lower than 65°. I’ve never experienced it and with the beer you’re making I would suggest using US-05 around 62°. Then make sure you give it a decent layering period.

1 Like

Thanks for the advise.

Secondary or not?

Maintain at 62 while it conditions?

Probably don’t have to secondary but after a couple weeks let it ride to 70 for a few days before cold crashing. And yes layering is helpful

Layering with what? :laughing: Sneezles61

I would definitely ‘secondary’ a Kolsch style beer. I prefer bulk lagering but I keg. If you bottle you could lager before bottling (will still be plenty of yeast) or allow it to rise to 70° in secondary, bottle condition, then lager in the bottle.

Well @loopie_beer said to layer so I figured its something we should do

2 Likes

I layer all my hybrids and lagers. If you haven’t you don’t know what your missing. :grinning:

2 Likes

Then layering it is… :roll_eyes: Sneezles61

Thanks for the help. All set for the Kolsch adventure…

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi guys, jumping on to this thread. NB Honey Kolsch or Kolsch is my next planned brew and I already have Safeale K97 yeast. Anyone used this yeast yet? The kit recommends a liquid hefe yeast but I would like to try the one I already have. My main goal is to make a super drinkable brew for the members of the hunting club where I work who are Coors Light/Bud Light guys. I’m leaning towards honey kolsch but don’t want too sweet of a brew. Thoughts?

The Honey in Honey Kolsch is just advertising won’t really add anything but fermentable sugar. Not sure why they would recommend a hefenwiezen yeast. I think the Kolsch is a great style for that crowd. Its probably a lower ABV than bud lite but with more flavor. Can you post the recipe? I just made a nice one that was a hit with people

1 Like

Actually i looked up the recipe. It calls for both honey malt and honey. The honey malt could add flavor the honey is jus drying it out. I like the wheat i use it in mine. I also used tradition hops whtic i see they use in the regular Kolsch. I used US-05 in the low 60s. The liquid yeast they call out is an American wheat ale yeast not a heffe yeast. Not sure there is much difference than the US-05 which is what i use in my American Wheat Ale as well

2 Likes

Cool thanks for all the info!! I just saw wheat an immediately assumed hefe (NOOB!!). I think I will just give it a go with the K97 and the hops that come with the kit. I’m hoping this will be a hit! Maybe one more step towards a kegging system if they like it enough.

Just read up on the hop varieties included in the honey kolsch kit. I may order some tradition hops as you mentioned @brew_cat and save the vanguard hops that come with the kit for a diff brew. They seem more intense than what I’m looking for.

I am not a fan of K-97. Tart yeasty mess in my experience. Fortunately, everybody doesn’t agree with me and doesn’t have to. Some people even love it. Maybe you’ll get lucky.

Good luck.

Thanks, I haven’t read much about it. I’m def not looking for tart. May just go with the original kolsch kit and the recommended liquid yeast and a starter. I appreciate the heads up

Just found a kolsch recipe online and may use that one instead. Partial mash recipe calls for steeping 1/2 lb CaraPils and 6 lbs Pilsner DME. Hops are Hellertau and Spalt, both at 60 mins and 15 mins. Yeast is wyeast 2565 Kolsch. The only issue i have is the lagering stage it calls for, I can’t achieve those temps. Any other yeast suggestions for a recipe like this?

I actually have a kolsch I just kegged that uses the same two hops - Spalt and Hallertau. Authentic kolsch yeast is important for the style and in my opinion Wyeast 2565 is the best. On the one I just kegged, I used the Lallemand Kolsch yeast, which is a dry yeast, for the first time. It’s not done carbonating so I can’t comment on how it compares with Wy2565. You can get away with using US-05, it’s just not an authentic kolsch yeast.

1 Like