Fermentation lag time

Im not a fan of lagging fermentation. Recently I did a double brew day and had trouble with both beers. Generally I pitch on the warmer side and set my temperature on the low side and try to pull my temperature back down into the range Im seeking. A couple reasons my fermentation lagged this time and this exagerated the lag. The wort temperature ended up being pulled to the cold side before fermentation started. After 36 hrs I warmed them and got them going so no harm. My question for disscusion is what is the detriment of a longer lag time other than infection risk. I should mention one beer was a lager one an ale.

anxiety…
Sneezles61

4 Likes

i assumed someone wood mention stressing the yeast but I see your point about stressing the brewer as well. I wasnt worried just curious. I should mention the lager yeast was cake saved in the fridge for a couple weeks so theres that. Ale was pack of US-05 which normally doesnt lag.

I had an ale yeast lag big time a few months back, never figured out why… I followed my usual patterns. Yeast was about a six or seven month old slurry for which I used the SNSYS. Usually works. Well. Vaguely recall the starter wasn’t as impressive as most…too old? Too big a beer for starter(double IPA)?didn’t let it cool enough before adding slurry(to starter)? I don’t know.
Definitely creates some angst and second guessing. At 72 hours with minimal activity I pitched a pack of US-04 and it took off. I think as long as infection risk is minimized…that is the biggest risk. Stressed yeast if you let it ride? Temperatures outside optimal range for flavor of said beer effects? Staling?

Well the lager was slury only a couple weeks old. Probably didn’t warm it sufficiently. The ale yeast was fresh dry. What happened is i sprinkled on top as usual but then realized i needed to add dextrose i had yo stir that in so the yeast got stirred in as well. I know we’ve had discussed not to stir in the dry yeast so that may have been something as well. I dont hydrate yhe dry since i figured it hydrated as it lays on top so stirring may have been the problem

I feel ifn you’ve got active/fresh yeast and pitch a bit cool, it takes time to get going… I fear more of the too warm side… THAT can make some wonky brews… I prove to myself time and time that room temps work best…
Sneezles61

What is the lag time here, 36 hours? Or longer? If you were sanitary it won’t matter. I’ve experienced 24 hours lag many times with no adverse side effects.

1 Like

after 36 hrs i warmed them both a bit to get them going. like I said I wasnt worried just currious especialy about the ale because they always start fast. The lagers sometimes take their time which I actually prefer

1 Like

Could it be not enough yeastcells ?after you collected the yeast few weeks ago. This creates stress wondering if your yeast will do its thing