Fermentation ending in three days

Hello fellow Brewers,

On Sunday I brewed a one gallon batch of spiced ale. I used exactly half of a package of Safle S-04. This is the first time I’ve used this yeast. In less than 12 hours it already began bubbling. Over the next 24 hours I got nervous and thought that I may have to put on the blowoff hose on but waited and didn’t have to. Now I woke up today and there is absolutely no activity. Is this something I should worry about? I’ve never seen fermentation happen this quickly but am also fairly new to this.

Thank you for any and all help!

Fermentation could be mainly over at this point. With a half packet of dry yeast in 1 gallon, likely is. 2 questions, what temp did you ferment at? and do you have a way to check your specific gravity? That will go a long way toward telling you where your fermentation stands.

My fermentation temp is at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. I do not have a way to check specific gravity that is on my list for order. I though about trying to get it a bit warmer and see if and more fermentation occurs.

I’ve always had similar experiences with S-04. Primary fermentation usually lasts 3-4 days with lots and lots of krausen. Although primary fermentation may be done, there are lots of intermediate metabolites in your beer at this point - diacetyl, acetaldehyde, and other compounds generated by the yeast during active fermentation which will eventually be broken down over the next several days. Wait for all visible fermentation activity to end, but also for the yeast to drop out of suspension and the beer to clear.

68F is a bit warm for S-04, so maybe try to find a location where you can keep it in the low 60’s next time.