Ferment too long?

My beer will hit the 2 weeks of fermenting mark this coming Tuesday. I have ordered bottles to bottle the beer in, but I do not think they’ll make it here by this Tuesday. What is the maximum amount of time I could leave the beer in the 1 gallon fermenting jug without hurting it?

Months.

You can use any pryoff commercial bottles. Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Goose Island, New Belgium… No need to “buy” bottles.

Or the swing tops, mostly from European breweries.

+1 on the months

I have even used 2l soda bottles the bottle condition in.

Never buy bottles unless there is beer in them. IMO.

Just a tip. Ask your local beer store to save you some good bottles, the cost?, 5 to 10 cents. each. If you can’t, save your own bottles. Easy, peasy, slap your knee…zzz.

Thanks for the peace of mind and suggestions everyone

If you are unlucky enough to live in a nanny state. :shock:

I get bottles from curbside recycling.

It depends on how strong the beer is. An average gravity beer will probably last up to 3 weeks if it is below 70. Higher gravity beer will last several weeks. If you cool the beer down into the 40s it will last longer.

I know many people say that you can leave your beer in primary for weeks or even months, but I think the malt flavors and freshness diminish over time. There are also strange yeast flavors that develop over time. You could also transfer to secondary and cool which would give you even more time.

Invite some buddies over for the game this weekend and ask them to bring a 12 pack of craft beer. You should have plenty of free bottles by Monday. A gallon of beer only takes 10-12 bottles.

I go to my local beer store and buy bottles from him at the cost of the nickel deposit.

Also - once you get some beer brewed (make sure it is good beer) be sure to give a couple bottles on occasion to your bottle supplier if you find one. Also, check to see if they get 22 ounce bottles coming through the bar or redemption center - half as much bottling makes bottling twice as easy.

If you are unlucky enough to live in a nanny state. :shock: [/quote]
What’s a “nanny state” and why would someome be “unlucky” to live there? Hmmm.

What’s a “nanny state” and why would someome be “unlucky” to live there? Hmmm.[/quote]

“Nanny”: Any person or thing regarded as treating people like children, esp by being patronizing or over protective.

“Nanny state”: an area (City/State/Country) that the elected officials don’t believe you have enough common sense to do something. States that have imposed “deposits” on glass/plastic bottles so that you return them for recycling instead of placing in the landfill are “nanny states”.

This is different from “back in the day” when the brewery/soda bottler imposed a deposit on their heavy duty bottles so that we would return them for reuse.

What’s a “nanny state” and why would someome be “unlucky” to live there? Hmmm.[/quote]
That’s a condition wherein a British chick changes your diapers and tucks you in at night with a bottle of extraordinaryexpyaladocious bitter.