Ferm wrap

I was thinking of making the jump to lagers, and have a question about the ferm wrap.

Does the ferm wrap put out enough heat to keep a carbouy at lager temps in an uninsulated garage during a Wisconsin winter (I would guess it stays around 20-35°F)?

My garage is part of the house so it doesn’t get quite that cold(stays around thirty). I’ve had some success with putting my lager in a closed cabinet with the thermowrap wrapped really loose. This way I can move it closer or further away depending on the temp. I think I would try filling a carboy with plain water and giving it a try. See what the temps run. Good luck mate. :cheers:

[quote=“WiVikesFan”]I was thinking of making the jump to lagers, and have a question about the ferm wrap.

Does the ferm wrap put out enough heat to keep a carbouy at lager temps in an uninsulated garage during a Wisconsin winter (I would guess it stays around 20-35°F)?[/quote]

Put it inside a large styrofoam cooler. That’ll keep the heat “inside”, and should work.

For the cost, I would buy a small ceramic heater and build a box from some pink foam board. I believe a 1/2 sheet of foam board will build a box large enough for 1 fermenter. I have a box made from a full sheet that will hold to carboys and a heater.

For best results you are going to need a temp controller with the Ferm Wrap or a ceramic heater.