Feedback on a new wheat IPA

Hi everyone. So I’ve been kicking around the idea of tryin to cross a hefe and an IPA. Here’s what I’ve come up with. Any ideas??

6.5# pale DME
1# crystal wheat
1# German wheat

1.25 oz. Citra 60
1 oz. Cascade 60
.5 Columbus 25
.5 Citra 25
.5 Cascade 25
.5 Citra 5
.5 Casade 5
2.0 whole leaf cascade dry hop for 7 days

Thinking about using wyeast 3836

I was at a bar in redondo beach and tasted a beer ( can’t remember the name) and it tasted like a wheat/hefe IPA. I loved it.

Why not use wheat DME? If I recall correctly it’s like 60/40 pale and wheat extract. You need to mash wheat malt to get any sugar from it so you’ll at least need to do a partial mash if you choose not to use the extract.

Partly a little of what I have on hand. I could easily pick up some wheat DME I just don have the set-up for all grain right now due to space limitations. other than that, do you think I’m on right track?

I like to load up on the late additions with minimal bittering addtions personally. I’ve never had an IPA made with a wheat beer yeast so I can’t comment there. I’ve had wheat IPA’s before but they were made with an American ale yeast.

I’d hop it more like this for my tastes (more hops that what you have listed):

1oz Columbus 60
1oz Columbus/Cascade blend 20
1oz Cascade/Citra blend 10
2oz Cascade/Citra blend 0
2oz Cascade Dry Hop
1oz Citra Dry Hop

For the blend additions? Are you saying half of each? I like the way it sounds. Might try that.

Yep, half oz of each for the blend or 1oz total except for the 0 min addition. That one would be 1oz of each or 2oz total.

Those hop quantities/times look pretty good to me too. My main concern with your plan is that yeast tends to end up with a lot of the bittering resins attached to them. With a powdery yeast like hefe you may end up with a really harsh bitterness in a beer like ipa - the way an ipa tastes right after you keg it.

Yea, after reading more about that yeast I’ll probably stick to the good old 1272. I just really want get that hefe taste in an IPA. After all, isn’t half the fun of homebrewing about experimenting ?

Cheers!

[quote=“HellBound”]Yea, after reading more about that yeast I’ll probably stick to the good old 1272. I just really want get that hefe taste in an IPA. After all, isn’t half the fun of homebrewing about experimenting ?

Cheers![/quote]

I’d say use the hefe yeast and go for it! Why not experiment? I’ve been thinking about a hoppy wheat since last spring, but just haven’t gotten around to it. It’s on the docket for this spring though. I’m doing mine a little different. I’m just doing a sizable 60min addition of Mt. Hood and then dry hopping with 2 ounces of cascade for 14 days.

I recently made an IPA using Wyeast 1010, American Wheat Yeast. The beer came out really nice it had a good crisp finish, with a light tartness. I actually preferred the WY1010 version over the same beer fermented with Wyeast 1450, Denny’s Favorite 50.

I made a hoppy wheat a few months ago using all Sorachi Ace hops and US-05. Came out really well, but you wouldn’t know it was a wheat. More like a single hop pale ale in charactor.