Favorite Single Hop Ale?

In an effort to get a better understanding of different hops and their flavors, I’m planning to do a series of single hop beers.

One of my current favorites on tap is an all Centennial IPA. It’s a simple recipe, 10 lbs 2 row, 1 lb C40 and about 64 IBU with .75oz for 60, 1 oz for 20, 2 oz for 5 and 1 oz DH.

I just brewed it again yesterday and moved the 5 minute hops to a hopstand that started at 160 degrees and lasted about 40 minutes while intermittently stirring and chilling to 63. I’ll DH this batch with 1.25 to go for more aroma.

I’d like to try experimenting with the same grain bill and hop schedule with other hops.

Any suggestions on your favorites? Any taste notes appreciated since I’m not a hop aficionado. :cheers:

Centennial is going to be a popular answer because its such a versatile hop and there are many commercial examples of single hop centennial ales.

Columbus is another single hop beer that I really enjoy. I’ve never brewed one but I like the herbal/earthiness of columbus and the commercial examples I’ve had have been really good.

[quote=“mattnaik”]Centennial is going to be a popular answer because its such a versatile hop and there are many commercial examples of single hop centennial ales.

Columbus is another single hop beer that I really enjoy. I’ve never brewed one but I like the herbal/earthiness of columbus and the commercial examples I’ve had have been really good.[/quote]
Funny…I’m not a fan of either on their own, but I LOVE them together.

This is pretty boring, but Cascade is still my favorite single hop choice. The only problem with Cascade as a single hop is that it really changes from citrus to floral if you don’t burn through your keg fast enough.

Glacier is a very underrated hop IMO. I did a single-hop with it a couple years ago and really enjoyed that.

One more thought: I’ve come to the conclusion that single hop is cool as an experiment, but in practice it is rarely as good a a combo of hops.

I’ve done 7 single hop beers, the most recent I really enjoyed was belma. The aroma was kinda weak compared to some other hops, but the flavor seemed more like it was a mix of hops a little pine, citrus and a light fruity type flavor. All and all I was happy with this hop especially since it was 8$ a pound.

Amarillo, goldings, spalt.

Right. I do single hop beers all the time, but it’s simply to learn about new hop varieties. Having said that, there’s no better tool to learn about a hop variety.

My favorites that I’ve done are Meridian[/url], Motueka, Apollo, Caliente and [url=The Hop Whisperer: Nelson Sauvin Hops - Tasting Notes]Nelson Sauvin
The Hop Whisperer: Meridian Hops - Tasting Notes

Chinook is very nice as a single hop - aromatic, piney, and not quite as dank or deeply bitter as Columbus (another favorite). I think Chinook benefits from a little extra darker crystal than I typically use with the other C-type hops.

The hops I most use when brewing single hop beers are Hallertau Mittelfruh, East Kent Goldens and Fuggles/Williamette. The first is ideal for any malt-forward lager, and the second is great for many British styles where a bit of floral is called for, while the last is when I want a bit of earthy background. I don’t brew so many American ales these days, but an all-Cascade APA can work well. I haven’t found any other American c-hops that can really stand on their own very well.