Favorite Local Breweries

I don’t recall seeing a thread for this kind of thing in the past so figured I’d start one and see if anyone else cares. My idea is for it to be a review of any small local breweries that you like so anyone traveling to your area will have a place to start. I’ll post on one very local place that’s just a mile or so from me in a little bit…

2 Likes

I’m at B Chord Brewing in Round Hill VA, a geographically desirable “farm brewery” just a mile or so from my house. I could literally stagger home through the woods and it’s probably half mile. Haven’t had a reason to do so yet.

This place brews some good beers. Today I’m drinking their Juicy Garcia IPA. Nice fruity aroma heavy in the grapefruit in the nose and palate. Good clarity, nice head dissipates quickly and virtually no lacing but it’s a tasty and satisfying ipa.

The brewery is in a big metal barn surrounded by farms on the eastern slope of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Nice pastoral setting but the big draw here is the music. Tonight “Neighborhood Night” is locals’ jam night. There was a guy tuning a fiddle when I arrived so we’ll see. I think it’s usually a bluegrass jam. They have lots of bluegrass here 3-5 nights a week and an Irish jam on Sunday afternoon.

The Amber is good, the barley wine is really good and every IPA I’ve had here was good. So if you’re ever in the area check it out. Look at their website for updated music lineup.

https://bchordbrewing.com/

2 Likes

If you’re ever near Whitehall, MI check out Fetch Brewing. Great local vibe and always an interesting menu. The “MOB Smash” was the Muskegon Ottawa Brewing club creation. Fetch is very supportive of the local homebrew scene and host the HOWL (Homebrewers of White Lake) every month.

3 Likes

This looks like a nice place

1 Like

One just opened over the winter near us. https://www.hothousebrewing.com/ The reason for the name is the place was and still is a greenhouse. We have purchased plants from them but so far no beer since we just returned last Sunday. Only about five miles away so I can see this being a regular stop.

EDIT: I forgot to add that since it is a greenhouse they are growing their own hops.

1 Like

A bunch of breweries around CT. I don’t frequent many. If driving through on I95 right off exit 31 is 2Roads and Area2 both breweries run by the same people right next door to each other. Area 2 is the funky side https://tworoadsbrewing.com/. Right off the Merritt Parkway is New England Brewing great for IPA styles. Then in my town OEC all sours and barrel aged definitely have to get a tour of B United. If you’re want to get out in the country there is Kent Falls Brewing. I heard Beered is good up in the Mystic Seaport area. 90+ breweries in this little state

1 Like

Bear Chase has become another favorite since they opened last summer. They’re up on top of the blue ridge mountains behind my house and cleared out some trees for their view so I wasn’t sure about them at first but they’re a good neighbor and turn their lights off at night when they close.

They have lots of music and community events as well as a nice line up of well crafted beers. Check out their website. One of the best views around with a view of DC on a clear day. Their guest house is pretty amazing. Take a dozen or so of your closest friends and rent it for a night so you can stumble next door after drinking beers.

My Goodness, you guys have some cool places around you over there! I’ll get some pictures of our little watering hole… And I mean little, compared to those! Will have to wait until the snow banks melt tho… Just kidding… Sneezles61

Hey @WMNoob It sounds like you’re not too far from Greenbush brewing in Sawyer, Michigan…during our tour of Michigan breweries we made a special trip to the SW extreme of your state to Greenbush, it was one of our favorite stops, great beer and food. Everything we tried was dangerously good. 2015?
I later heard they were struggling. Various issues?

We’re a couple hours away. Wife and I visited Greenbush, Haymarket, Tapistry, Transient Artisan Ales, and Watermark which all are in the same area - kind of. Last I knew all are doing fine. I remember I picked up some bacon jam at Greenbush.

1 Like

So my wife got some kinda post that rated Mn breweries… the rating company/source is called Stacker…
I looked at their top 20 for us… I can’t believe some of the ones that are on it, made it… and some very mediocre ones scored so high… THEN… some very great breweries didn’t even make a showing!!
I’m not chastiesing them… but HOW did they arrive at this finding? Could be my “taste” buds are old and feeble now :disappointed:… Any of you see something of this sort?
Sneezles61

I’m guessing it’s not actually based on beer tasting at the breweries and more likely based on some social media analytics.

1 Like

Perhaps that IS the answer… sad when stats prove there is good brews when it aint so… I suppose its a price thingy too… The one I’d put as top shelf “gives” theirs away for 8 bucks a pint…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Wander if the breweries posted are still around? No disrespect intended.