Favorite Dunkelweizen Recipes

Hi folks,

I am looking to brew a nice refreshing, but little darker wheat beer. I am thinking a dunkelweizen would be a good choice. Any favorite dunkelweizen recipes to recommend?

I looked at Jamil’s Classic brewing style and the NB recipe. I like the NB recipe but may modify the hop plan.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is what I am planning at this point…

O.G. 1.050
F.G. 1.013
IBU 17.8
SRM 16.0
5.5lbs Dark Wheat Malt (7.0 L)
3.0lbs Pilsner Malt (1.7 L)
1.0lbs Dark Munich (15.5 L)
0.75lbs Caramunich II (46 L)
2.5oz Carafa II (415 L)
1.0oz German Hallertau (4.8% AA) - Boil 60 min
Mash 152F

1.0 pkg Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen #3068 or Wyeast Bavarian Wheat Blend #3056

I brewed Jamil’s recipe a few months ago. Dunkleweizens have never been my favorite but I had an extra vile of weizen yeasts so I gave it a go. Have to say it was quite a good beer and I was surprised how much I liked it. It improved greatly by letting sit for about a month before drinking. I fermented low about 62.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[quote=“scottNU”]Here is what I am planning at this point…

O.G. 1.050
F.G. 1.013
IBU 17.8
SRM 16.0
5.5lbs Dark Wheat Malt (7.0 L)
3.0lbs Pilsner Malt (1.7 L)
1.0lbs Dark Munich (15.5 L)
0.75lbs Caramunich II (46 L)
2.5oz Carafa II (415 L)
1.0oz German Hallertau (4.8% AA) - Boil 60 min
Mash 152F

1.0 pkg Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen #3068 or Wyeast Bavarian Wheat Blend #3056[/quote]

Last year I had an excellent dunkelweizen at a beer fest that was fermented with the 3056.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]

Last year I had an excellent dunkelweizen at a beer fest that was fermented with the 3056.[/quote]

Thanks Rookie. That’s the yeast I went with for this brew.

On a different subject, I wasn’t planning on doing a protein rest. But looking at the description of of the dark wheat, the rest is recommended. I am second guessing a bit and probably will just go with a 152 mash. That is, unless the wisdom of the group strongly encourages me to change my mash.

Thoughts on a protein rest?

Thanks.

[quote=“scottNU”][quote=“Rookie L A”]

Last year I had an excellent dunkelweizen at a beer fest that was fermented with the 3056.[/quote]

Thanks Rookie. That’s the yeast I went with for this brew.

On a different subject, I wasn’t planning on doing a protein rest. But looking at the description of of the dark wheat, the rest is recommended. I am second guessing a bit and probably will just go with a 152 mash. That is, unless the wisdom of the group strongly encourages me to change my mash.

Thoughts on a protein rest?

Thanks.[/quote]

+1 on protein rest. Some say skip it due to poor head down the line, but at a high carbonation level and that much wheat, kinda hard to see that being a problem.

I would do a rest at about 110F for about 15 minutes or so. It’s not a protein rest but at that temperature you build up the chemical precursors for the clove flavor the beer should have when completed. I will freely admit that I have not yet made a great dunkelweizen but I have had some sucess doing a heffe and I have made a lot of that style and currently have a fresh example in my keggorator. My other recommendation (and yeah, this one is going to get me flamed) is do a decoction mash. I don’t know what it is but especially with wheat biers a decoction improves the mouthfeel and will really add to the product. I also always underpitch on purpose, never oxigenate the cool wort as well as do open fermentations, it all increases the esters and phenols you want for this style. My go to yeast by the way is WLP300, just love the combination of bananna and clove you get with that strain.

The apartment is a perfect temperature to brew a Wheat with no temperature control.
2lb Red Wheat Malt
2lb Dark Munich Malt
1lb Flaked Wheat
8oz Golden Naked Oats
4oz Midnight Wheat
4oz Honey Malt
3.3 Bavarian Wheat LME (because I’m lazy this weekend)
.25 oz Centennial 60min
.50 oz Belma 20min Steep
Yeast is Weihenstephan Weizen
4.64% ABV , 13.5 IBUs, 18.2 SRM

1 Like

That’s a really busy grist. Your choice of hops aren’t traditional either. Let us know how this turns out!

I’m just using the hops at hand. I bought bulk with colleagues and unfortunately didn’t plan out this far.

Nothing wrong with a lil sumpin

Add a touch of cent at the end also. Won’t a dunkel weizen more after an AWIPA

The Midnight Wheat just provides the dark. The Honey Malt and Golden Oats are to replace real honey. The flaked wheat are to give it a bit o the Belgian bite. The main malts are pretty standard. The hops are the least obnoxious ones I have in the fridge.

I would describe centennial as obnoxious

I broke it up into 3 additions/ times of lower amounts and swamped Centennial for Eukanot which might be better with the banana

Wouldn’t

I’m not sure you want bannana clove in a dunkel. I had 12 pack of whienstefan dunkel took me a while to drink it but don’t remember any banana

German-style dunkelweisen can have banana and clove if using weizen yeast, which he is. It is acceptable for the style.

1 Like

The banana and clove is masked a little by the slight roastiness of the grains.

1 Like

Oh and I wasn’t knocking you. Just not traditional. Brew what you want and like! That’s what makes this the greatest thing in the world.

1 Like