Fastpitch and dry yeast (US-05), will my ferment explode?

This is my first home brew. I’m making Northern Brew peanut butter cup stout. I mixed my two packs of US-05 yeast with two cans of fast pitch and two cans of water today. Was planning on tomorrow being brew day. In the meantime I’ve been reading the various topics. Is it correct that I could have skipped the fast pitch? I thought that because it was a high alcohol volume kit the fast pitch may help guarantee the alcohol to come out as high as possible. My concern after reading a few posts now is am I creating too much yeast to pitch? I’m in Florida so I was planning on running my a/c to keep fermentation temp as low as possible but I’m nervous that I might have an explosion and I don’t need that all over my very small house (rv). Should I maybe not use all of the starter? I don’t want to brew outside because of temps being in the 80’'s, not to mention the wildlife.

You absolutely did not need to use Fast Pitch. It won’t hurt anything, but, with dry yeast like US-05, it is completely unnecessary. Dry yeast is extremely robust and reliable. One of the biggest advantages of dry yeast is that you do not need to make propagation starters with dry yeast. A 1/2 pack of any dry yeast is enough for 5 gallons of ale, or 1 full pack is enough for lager. You have like 10 times as much yeast as you really need. You can use a small portion of it, or all of it. I don’t think it will make any difference either way.

Nothing should explode if you don’t have a hard seal on your fermentations. Just keep an airlock on or loose lids and all should work out fine.

So if I don’t use all of the fastpitch yeast solution that I’m making, can I refrigerate or freeze the rest for future use?

You can refrigerate it if you want to brew a batch soon. Making propagation starters with dry yeast is counterproductive. Dry yeast is packaged with nutrients and glycogen and creating a starter depletes these nutrients.
Now, as long as you have fair headspace in your FV and control fermentation temps you’ll be fine as far as blowoff.
With that, welcome to the forum and to brewing. Get ready… you’ll get hooked quick!

1 Like

Yes, save it for future use. I am not sure how long it lasts refrigerated. I have never used this product. I know what it’s for but just never tried it.

5 gallon recipe on 6.5 gallon fermenter. I think that’s normal. Going to stick it in the shower and cross my fingers. I once blew a 5 gallon jug of wine all over my laundry room. Of coarse I really had no clue back then. Chopped a bunch of apples with 5 pounds of sugar and some bakers yeast. Capped it with plastic wrap and rubber bands. That stuff hit the roof and all four walls.

It definitely will not explode but may have what is called a blow off. That’s where the foam at the top of the beer you are making (wort) blows out through your bubbler. The small diameter bubbler gets plugged off with the foamy stuff and pops off. The foam then runs down the sides of your fermenter and makes a mess. I brew the northern brewer imperial stout and have had blowoffs with it. You may want to set up a blow off line. That’s a big diameter piece of tubing that goes out of your fermenter to a starsan or vodka solution. The large diameter tube can handle the foam and some foam may go into the starsan or vodka solution. That foam is called krausen btw. If it blows off, don’t worry too much about possible contamination with bacteria as there is sooo much carbon dioxide coming out that it keeps your beer clean. Saw you are new brewer so I kept it simple and hope I did not insult your intelligence.

Beer forms krausen but wine really doesn’t form much for some reason. Welcome to beer brewing…its addictive.

Here is a picture for reference of a blowoff tube setup in my swamp cooler. This is how I keep my beers at temp throughout the summer months. I rotate out ice bottles 2-3 times/day to keep it around 66ish for most of my ales. Depending on the outside temp and the temp of your house, you may want to look at something simple like this to help regulate the temperature of your fermentation. Fermentation generates heat and the fermenting wort can easily run 5-10 degrees above ambient temp.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Thank you. I had a little of the krausen come up in my airlock today. It didn’t clog but I think I’ll look into the blow out tube. I’m definitely a newbie so I’m not offended at all and appreciate the lessons and advise from everyone.

Cut down bit on the yeast you want to pitch. One pack of dry yeast might be enough. Fast pitch i never used before. I would use it only if you want to use liqued yeast. And you create a starter. When i doubt. Use. Brewers friend. Yeast calculator. One thing you might want to look at kveik. Yeast. Because you do live in Florida. This strain. Ferments at higher. Temp. One thing you might want to use. A blowover hose. If you are afraid of your yeast might be to active. A swampcooler. As well. To control. Your fermenting temp. Any way. Welcome to the fun hobby

1 Like