Fast lager method question?

That is correct. Even if I go low temp I find that I usually don’t need a d rest. Probably because I pitch so much healthy yeast and give it a lot of time to work when I ferment at low temps. Choice of yeast strain also plays a part.

Interesting out of curiosity which strains do you find works the best to skip a d rest. When i use wyeast 2206 its creates alot of diacytl and find it takes alittle more time to clean it up. But the results are worth it

Interesting indeed…I was gonna cite 2206 as one that I never need a d rest for!

@Hardbrewer123 as you can see this topic like many in homebrewing is a matter of opinion. I’ve been doing what you refer to for 4-5 years because I ferment in swamp coolers and swapping frozen bottles out twice per day to keep the temperature stable is labor intensive. I found I could produce clean lagers by letting the temps begin to rise around the 4th or 5th day. It’s worked fine for me with no sign of off flavors.

So like any other aspect of homebrewing you’ll find your process sweet spot and do what works for you. If it works for @denny it’s certainly worth a try right?

2 Likes

Sorry I missed this cage fight. I’ve skipped the D rest but generally do one anyway since I plan on lagering the beer at least a month or two anyway so I don’t feel any need to fast ferment. More traditional maybe. One thing I do recommend to the newer lager brewers is even if you fast ferment try to lager it cold for at least a month after packaging

1 Like

After all, lagering isn’t about the whole fermenting process, Lagering refers to the process AFTER its a finished product… Sneezles61

4 Likes

Exactly

1 Like