False bottom advise

Just need some advice on witch false bottom to go with for sanke keg I’m converting into a mash tun.
I will be fly sparging I have looked at the jaybird they are expensive the other is the ABT model NB sells.

Thanks

Read dennybrew.com

I tried to use a false bottom for a couple of years and was not impressed. I switched to a bazooka filter and loved it. A couple of years ago I discovered Denny’s stainless mesh method, which would have saved me the cost of the bazooka.

I have used the Sabco false bottoms for keg kettle for about 10 years. I now see a number of different ones on the market that look good as well, and I don’t think you’ll go wrong if the one you choose is a full-width folding model. These sit above the curved bottom area and fit well. The ones that sit in the curved part of the bottom should be avoided, and they have a smaller surface area as well.

Having used a false bottom and every other method as well for many years back and forth, I really loved the false bottoms over other setups.

I may be way off here…

But assuming you have a female 1/2" threaded one-way ball valve that you can attach things to on the inside of the pot. Is there any reason you could not use this and save yourself the cost of an $80 false bottom? It seems this would work fairly well from clogging. I would expect the plumbing world to have adequate technologies for solving this issue. A false bottom seems like overkill to me…and a dent in the wallet.

I was thinking something like this: http://www.leengatevalves.co.uk/product … artno=1453

I may buy one and give it a try for sparging.

I may be way off here…

But assuming you have a female 1/2" threaded one-way ball valve that you can attach things to on the inside of the pot. Is there any reason you could not use this and save yourself the cost of an $80 false bottom? It seems this would work fairly well from clogging. I would expect the plumbing world to have adequate technologies for solving this issue. A false bottom seems like overkill to me…and a dent in the wallet.

I was thinking something like this: http://www.leengatevalves.co.uk/product … artno=1453

I may buy one and give it a try for sparging.

I bought a false bottom from stainlessbrewing.com. It’s the full size 15" hinged type with a hole near the center. I use it in a keggle mash tun for a direct fire RIMS system along with a pump. It’s worked well for me and was cheaper than others I looked at. The offset hole allows different lengths for the pickup tube.