Extract taste

As a BJCP judge, and additionally from my liver’s experience of dranking so many effing beers, and in addition to my beer-literature readings, I would have to say that eXXXtrack beers’ main negative issue is “oxidation.”

That is to say, a ‘cardboard, stale’ flavor and aroma. I am able to pick out eXXXtrack beers by smell, before I even am within 100 yards of the room hohohohohoho! that was a fib. But seriously they Are pretty apparent. I wish I could go back in time and taste a few of my eXXXtracks. I thought they were so damnable gooowd back then.

The thing is, as at leas one previous writer commented - you gots ta git da FRESHest eXXXtrack available. I believe the common, negative denominator in eXXXtrack brewing is OXXXidation (cardboard, wet paper, stale, whatever). Or perhaps a metallic, tinney flavor.

Goto All-grain ASAP and you’ll never regret it.

This may be the key. I brewed extract for three years before I went AG. When I did, I was expecting to get blown away by the improvement, and wasn’t. The AG is more fun to brew, and costs less, but I didn’t find it was typically that much better. But my home water was very soft…

This may be the key. I brewed extract for three years before I went AG. When I did, I was expecting to get blown away by the improvement, and wasn’t. The AG is more fun to brew, and costs less, but I didn’t find it was typically that much better. But my home water was very soft…[/quote]

That and all the other issues with pitching rates, fermentation temp, knowledge etc…I can not tell between extract and AG side by side blindly now.
I have had cocky people/judges tell me they can pick extract out and have proved that point before that they can not if it is well made.