Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Expired PH strips

I’ve been using colorPHast strips to measure my mash Ph. They were always accurate using brunwater and distilled water. At some point they started reading ~0.6 below were the PH was predicted instead of 0.3 like they previously had and are expected to. I recently started using my tap water and adjusting off of a water report. I’m still reading ~0.6 below so I’m pretty sure its just the strips. Its it typical for old strips to read low? I bought them a year or so ago but they were made Jan 2011.

They do have a finite life. It’s probably time for replacement. Try and find someone to share a new pack with since they are relatively expensive and unless you brew very frequently, you won’t use them up in a timely fashion.

I contacted Sanitation Strategies asking for the length of life of the pH Strips, Customer Service (Jennelle Vanderford) responded with “The typical shelf life would be approximately 1-2 years.”

tom

From what I’ve read the consensus opinion is that pH test strips are next to worthless. If you can invest in a decent pH meter you should.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com