Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Expiratation of home brew

I was excited to brew a pumpkin ale extract with real pumpkin for october until i realized that all the pumpkin beers coming out now must have been brewed last year since pumpkin harvest isnt until october/noverber.

Does anyone know how long an average abv beer would stay fresh?

Sanitation, sanitation, sanitation…

You can some something turn south on you with in a couple months. Or be fine for 2 years (or more). Even in the 4-6% range.

Unless you know the brewer, it’s possible that the “pumpkin” is actually just the spice mix. If they do use the fruit, I doubt they take the time to roast the pumpkins them self. Instead they purchase the fruit from Libby’s or other canning companies. Thus it’s available year round.

Yep, I bet there are quite a few that contain just the spice mix rather than actual pumpkin.
If you want pumpkin in the beer but they are not avaiable, winter squash will also work.

To quote Jamil from Brewing Classic Styles,

I’m sure the beer you’re seeing is fresh, if a bit premature for the season.

I seem to recall from the tv show they briefly had that Dogfish uses canned pumpkin in theirs. As others have said it also wouldn’t surprise me if some brewers use just the spice and no actual pumpkin.

As to age, as long as sanitation is good and you avoid temperature extremes, 1 year old is no big deal, even for a standard strength beer. It may be slightly past its peak by that point (depends on the style), but it shouldn’t be “bad” unless something went wrong. Back when I used to only bottle, I would routinely set aside a sixpack or so for extended aging just to see what happened.

Very few breweries use fresh pumpkin. Most used canned. Some use only spices, but I think those are the exception rather than the rule.

Canned pumpkin is a mixture of many squash that have similar flavors and better texture that a regular pumpkin. (http://www.thekitchn.com/pumpkin-pie-fi … s-it-69123)

As mentioned a lot of pumpkin beers are just spiced beers anyway and the ones brewed with pumpkin may use puree or perhaps have pumpkins sourced from someplace where are ripe at brewing time (just a guess there).

I’ve never brewed a pumpkin beer but for those who are into it, its not hard to put up your own pumpkin puree when they are in season. Buy the sugar or pie pumpkins (they are usually considerably smaller than the big honkers sold for jack o’ lanterns), remove the seeds etc, cut up the flesh and roast in an oven at 350 until tender enough to puree in a food processor. Let it cool, peel off the skin, puree it and then freeze it in freezer bags. We use it all year long for different recipes we like that include pumpkin as an ingredient.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com