ESB Attempt

:pensive:

I made a 10 gallon ESB with 20 lbs MO 4oz roasted barley and 1.5 lbs Chrystal malt 60L. Came out very good. Donā€™t think the wheat would hurt anything

2 Likes

Had an ESB at a local brewery at my retirement party the other night. Darn good and not really very far from our ESBS. Love that slightly bitter malty flavor.

I suppose I could throw one kernel in, just for grins and gigglesā€¦ Brew Cat, I think the M.O. is a very nice malt, then I was hoping for the chocolate to be in the backgroundā€¦ Adding that wonderful chocolate hint to the very malty/biscuit main backboneā€¦ Wheat is just head retentionā€¦ Add some Galena to tame the sweetnessā€¦ Iā€™m ready! Sneezles61

1 Like

Sounds delicious! I can make the sacrifice and taste test it if needed!

1 Like

I think it sounds good as well

1 Like

ESB is in the final throws of the boilā€¦ I will use Burton ale on one of the 5 gallon batch, and 05 on the other. The Burton will go in the freez-menter, and the 05 will just sit on the concrete floorā€¦ Just a simple way to evaluate the yeastsā€¦ Sneezles61

I was really impressed with this brew! I hung out by the fire pit, quaffed many of the ESBā€¦ Just wonderful! I will rack the Burton yeast one today, get it ready for a fourth celebration! Anyone else want to comment on their ESB? Sneezles61

Almost done with keg of ESB quite an easy drinker. I have another keg of the same sitting on Bret. The next ESB I brew will be the red ESB I made this winter I like what the tiny bit of roasted malt brought to the table. It wasnā€™t really red though Iā€™ll work on that

I will agree a very drinkable brew! Iā€™m anxious to try the Burton oneā€¦ How much roasted did you put in yours? My base was Marris Otter, then 1 lb of C20, 5 oz of chocolateā€¦ and wheatā€¦ I kept the hops way downā€¦ Sneezles61

DAMN, just went to see what makes an ESB, an ESB. the alcohol is 4.5- 5.5%ā€¦ Mine weighed in at 5.8ā€¦ Now what is it then? Sneezles61

I thought a standard bitter was 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 an ESB was stronger.

3/4 lb c/c60 2 oz roasted malt no wheat only MO. Rung in just under 6%

2 Likes

What did you brew? Damianā€™s recipe?

Well, somewhat similar as M.O. is the base, 10 gallons into the kegsā€¦
20 lbs M.O.
5 oz chocolate
1 lb crystal 90
12 oz wheat ( all I had on hand. usually like a pound per 5 gallon brew)
1 oz galena 13.3%
2 oz Golding 4.5%, 10 minute schedule
2 oz Golding at F.O.
5 was with 05 and the other 5 with Burton ale
1.060 Starting gravity.
Sneezles61