Equipment Question For 1st Brew

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I joined for some help and input on my brew kettle. I’ve been brewing with my dad and uncle for a couple years now but a buddy and I are finally gonna try a batch on our own this weekend. We’re using some of their old and smaller stuff so we kinda have to mix and match with what we just bought. We’re going to use their old brew kettle and have run into a little problem. It used to have a thermometer through the side that didn’t work so now it’s gone, we bought the weldless brewmometer to go in but it’s for a 1/2’’ hole and the hole is 3/4’’. The NB salesman said that it might work but might have to make a trip or two to Home Depot. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do or the parts that might make it fit?

You might be able to make something work with some washers and o-rings but with the curve of the pot I’m not sure you would be able to get it to work easily. If you had a way to bend the washers to match the curve of the kettle you might have more success but not sure what tools you have available to you.

Return the item you purchased and seek out a 3/4" solution. You don’t need a thermometer to tell you when it’s boiling, right? Maybe a hole plug would work? Assuming you’re making extract, don’t bother spending more on fixing the existing kettle than what you could spend on a small 3-4 gallon kettle. You can perform a partial boil and then use top-up water to suffice.