Electric Extract Brewing Setup - Kicked out of Kitchen

I was looking at these all grain electric systems and they seem great, but if I’m not going to do all grain for the foreseeable future, is there are system like it for Extract Brewers? I see that NB has something that looks like it would fit for $175 then you would have to buy the chiller too. Is that the only option that won’t break the bank?

You might want to look at giga wort electric brew kettle. Our host does sell for. 174.98 dollar. Nice for extract brewing. Or partial mash. Silver serpent. Wortchiller. But than you do need a wort pump as well. Your done about 310 dollar.

When I started using my electric brewing system, I was still using my inexpensive copper immersion wort chiller. I don’t think you need to buy something expensive.

1 Like

Did look the silver serpent. Bit cheaper than. Copper wort chiller. Or you can make your own. But you have to agree. Brewing beer. You got spent some money. To create a system. You are happy with. Better spent some more in the beginning. Than later on thinking damn. Wish i did buy this or that. To make. Brewing easy. But hey. It like the gico commercial. Whats in your wallet

1 Like

What do you have access to? If you have outdoor space and a hose I would use a propane burner.

1 Like

Find one of those monster coffee makers you see at a church… 30… 60 cups?
Sneezles61

I bought a silver serpent - 5 gallons takes forever. Put your money into another chiller.

I got one of those as part of a sale from our Hosts for free, works well enough for me when I use it, but I would definitely purchase a bigger copper one if I was looking to buy one.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Is a pump needed for just the partial mash or both? Thank you for the reply.

Ok thank you. Sounds like copper is better than S.Steal?

I have the DarkStar burner and used that this last weekend, but when winter comes it will be cold and I am not good in the cold LOL.

1 Like

Looks you got all the. Stuff to brew beer. I would stay with it untill you really want to up grade. No a pump not necercary. You can syphon your wort.

OK thank you. Glad I don’t need a pump. One more less thing to learn right now. Chiller would be cool, but if I plan right I stock up on ice from the ice maker and can cool to 100F in about 25 minutes. Would like to get the Anvil Foundry kit at some point. Sounds like from the replied I should save my penny’s and go big when the time comes.

Question for you experts, is there really that much difference in all grain to warrant the upgrade to AG? I’ve just started, but the beer I’m getting from the kits is as good as a bunch of other purchased beers I’ve tried. I would understand a brewery like Moonracker or Fieldworks making much better than I could, but would AG be as good? Like AG is 20-50% better?

I was an extract brewer for 2 years before switching to BIAB.
There is definitely a difference and my beers are better from starting with grain. I still use extract to boost gravity beyond what my 8 gallon Pot will hold in grains.

2 Likes

It’s difficult to quantify, but once you make the move to all grain, it’s hard to go back to brewing with extract (my personal experience). I used to do extract batches in the winter when I didn’t feel like setting up the AG equipment outside, and I decided to convert to all electric and move my brewing to the basement and stick with AG. It is possible to brew good beers with extract, but there is a notable difference in taste that I don’t care for.

4 Likes

I would suggest you look into BIAB (Brew in a bag) if you’re looking at going all grain, but don’t want to commit to a bunch of equipment just yet. I’m not saying BIAB is better than traditional MLT all grain, just an easier transition from Extract. Very simple, brewing with a giant Tea bag or two…I still do it and no immediate plans to change. Some info on BIAB here:

and here:

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you very much for the info.

1 Like

Me do use a icebucket. Where i do cool my wort. Basicly. I do circulate. The cold ice water. True my wortchiller. By pump. Hot water what comes back. Goes down the drain. I use about 4 ice bags to cool my wort. Reason for this i do live on a island. The water what comes out of the faucit. Real hot about 85 on a warm day. Think if you start out extract. You learn lots. About brewing. And you can make nice beers as well. Me did do extract brewing for 2 years. Before. I went to all grain. All grain gives you more freedom to upscale your brewbatches. And create your own recipy. If you think going all grain. Go biab. You got your brewkettle all ready. What you can use as well for your. Biab brewing. My self i use a 3 kettle system.

2 Likes