Editorial "State of the Forum", with suggestion(s)

As a long time daily viewer of this forum, in recent months I can sense it is finally near death. Sorry, just calling it like I see it. I blame spam, Facebook, and smart phones. Dang technology… just when things are getting really good, it turns around and bites you in the buttocks.

Suggestion: Continue to come here on the NB forum like always, we do share awesome information here, but for those seeking more active response to homebrewing questions… also consider joining the AHA forum. You do not need to be a member of the AHA to be on that forum either, so don’t let that scare you away, no monetary dues are required or anything like that.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum

Disclaimer: I do not work for the AHA. I’m just a homebrew geek who goes wherever good homebrewers gather and have good discussions… I’m on a lot of forums, not just one or two. As I see it, AHA is most where it’s at right now at this point in time.

For many many many years, the NB forum was the best of the best. Sad to say, it’s not anymore, IMHO. Times change. People move. People die. That’s life I guess. But for whatever it’s worth… I’m still here, and I will continue to stay here for as long as good information continues to be shared, even if volume is down.

Best regards to NB and its administrators. You’re still doing a good job, despite my healthy criticism.

Dave,
I’m not sure what you are saying. I took a quick look at the AHA forum and the format looks about the same, almost a copy. The first post I clicked on didn’t have any faster response than you would normally see here. I do think that with the vast amount of resources out there the field can get spread thin compared with ten years ago but this forum has been and still is one of the best. If there are any specific changes you can suggest I would be happy to pass them on to NB. You have always been an excellent contributor here so your input should be welcome.

I sense what Dave is saying as well but it happens every year. I think it is a seasonal thing. In the longer term, this forum and others are dying slowly. Its a lot of the same old questions, over and over. Still, look at it from a new brewer’s eyes as they are just getting started in this hobby and you’ll see it differently. We are just getting old.

I agree. Sometimes it is hard not to just answer “try the search” but try to remember when it was magical and you were drinking beer that had not carbonated because you could not wait that long to try it. You also had no patience when worried something was going wrong and your batch of beer would be ruined so you ask away.

No new posts in the past 3 hours!? Come on, people, I’m trying to procrastinate here! The truth is, there are other forums out there that still have posts every few minutes. I wonder how many more months/weeks until I begin to totally ignore my old favorite NB forum. Oh well. That’s the way it goes. I have no suggestions except maybe to buy stock in Facebook and Apple. And maybe InstaGram and SnapChat. My 10-year-old daughter and her friends really love those last two.

:frowning:

Dave, I think you’re selling yourself and other “senior” members of this forum short. You, like many others, have been an invaluable source of information, guidance, and encouragement to the wannabes like me out there. I think it sometimes seems slow because there are so many topics that have been covered, if you look diligently enough, you’ll get an answer to your question without ever posting. I know that’s the case with me. I do try to help with answers to the occasional post that I am capable of answering–if I happen to get there first. I don’t know if it makes sense or not but I just feel comfortable here and I’ve gone to other sites–it’s not the people on those sites-they seem very friendly-I just like this format and the people. It’s probably because I’m over 30-well, ok, over 55 and just set in my ways. But please know that you, Denny, Mark, Pietro, Scoggin and all the other well established brewers who have always been willing to help here are genuinely appreciated. I will do my part to not let this place slip.

:cheers:

Ron

Sorry Greg. And Greg. I knew as soon as I started that list it might be a bad idea!

Ron

Sorry Greg. And Greg. I knew as soon as I started that list it might be a bad idea!

Ron[/quote]
I think it was. :wink:

Yep. Sorry Josh. :oops:

Let me try again:

Thanks to (please see list of forum members)!!

But seriously, I for one am very grateful to everyone here who is willing to share.

Ron

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]As a long time daily viewer of this forum, in recent months I can sense it is finally near death. Sorry, just calling it like I see it. I blame spam, Facebook, and smart phones. Dang technology… just when things are getting really good, it turns around and bites you in the buttocks.

How does any of this pertain to the AHA forum??

Every forum is dying a slow death. Some faster or slower than others.