Easy extract recipe favorites

Thanks for providing this recipe, I brewed this up this past weekend, my only concern at this point is finding a warmer climate for the yeast, as my garage is probably sitting at the mid to low 60s!

Scottish Ale (5gal)

Steep:
0.5lbs crystal 120L
0.25lbs roasted barley

extract:
10lbs light LME

hops:
2oz pearle 60min
1oz pearle 40min

yeast:
Edinburgh Ale (white labs)

when fermenting in primary, probably need to rig up a blow off tube to prevent overflow.

should finish as about a 7-8% beer.

Thanks for providing this recipe, I brewed this up this past weekend, my only concern at this point is finding a warmer climate for the yeast, as my garage is probably sitting at the mid to low 60s![/quote]
Mid to low 60s is perfect! I don’t envy your weather, necessarily (my sister lives in Fairbanks) but I do envy your fermenting conditions! Cheers.

Thanks for providing this recipe, I brewed this up this past weekend, my only concern at this point is finding a warmer climate for the yeast, as my garage is probably sitting at the mid to low 60s![/quote]
Mid to low 60s is perfect! I don’t envy your weather, necessarily (my sister lives in Fairbanks) but I do envy your fermenting conditions! Cheers.[/quote]

i was stationed at Ft. Wainwright for a few years, talk about a shift in temps lol… some great resturants up that way, I’m looking forward to hunting season and stopping in at the Cookie Jar for breakfast, if you’ve never been, i strongly suggest it.

question:

so that cali yeast calls for a temp from 68-73, so being below that won’t necessarily give me any issues??
I checked on it this morning and it was chugging along…

I don’t think it will hurt it at all Hatred, it just may take a little longer to ferment out all the way. I’d rather be on the cooler side of the temps than the warmer side of fermentation temps. You should be fine.

That being said, I have a question of my own for Ken. I’m about to brew tomorrow or this weekend and I have the ingredients for your Memory Lapse. You said to keep the ibu’s at about 24 I think. The Mt Hood I have is not mid 5’s but is sitting at 6.3 %. Should I just scale back the hop addition in Beer Smith to get to 24 ibu’s or will the couple points higher make a difference?

Edited to add: In Beer Smith I’ve got the steeping addition of 12 ounces wheat, and 1 lb 60L Crystal, 6 pnds of LME (to make up for the difference to DME) and I’m showing only 16.8 ibu with 1 oz of 6.3% Mt. Hood. Is this because of the LME? I’m using that amount mostly because it’s easy. I guess I will just ramp up the Mt. Hood till I get to around 24 ibus.

It shows 1.33 oz will give me 24.7 ibu’s.

Remember that there are different ways to calculate IBUs and yours might be the lower one. There is Rager and Tensith (I think…) and they don’t agree. If you used about .9 of that ounce of 6.3% Mt. Hoods you would be at 5.67 AAUs which I think is good. You could always just use the whole thing and have a hoppier MLPA… your call.

Also, using 1056 in the low 60s is how I normall brew with it. It will create a cleaner, smoother and softer beer, in my experience. Cheers gang!

[quote=“Ken Lenard”]Remember that there are different ways to calculate IBUs and yours might be the lower one. There is Rager and Tensith (I think…) and they don’t agree. If you used about .9 of that ounce of 6.3% Mt. Hoods you would be at 5.67 AAUs which I think is good. You could always just use the whole thing and have a hoppier MLPA… your call.

Also, using 1056 in the low 60s is how I normall brew with it. It will create a cleaner, smoother and softer beer, in my experience. Cheers gang![/quote]

I’m dry hopping the MLPA as I write this :smiley:

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”][quote=“Ken Lenard”]Remember that there are different ways to calculate IBUs and yours might be the lower one. There is Rager and Tensith (I think…) and they don’t agree. If you used about .9 of that ounce of 6.3% Mt. Hoods you would be at 5.67 AAUs which I think is good. You could always just use the whole thing and have a hoppier MLPA… your call.

Also, using 1056 in the low 60s is how I normall brew with it. It will create a cleaner, smoother and softer beer, in my experience. Cheers gang![/quote]

I’m dry hopping the MLPA as I write this :smiley: [/quote]
Not that there’s anything wrong with it!

Citra and Chinook. They might contradict each other but what’s a little extra hop eh?

Ooh, interesting combination. That won’t be my MLPA but please keep us posted on how it comes out.

sweet thanks.

This has been the coldest july on record up here apparently, which isn’t nice awaiting the doom of winter.