Easiest way to make Still Apple cider

I’m new to home brewing and was wondering if anyone could put the easiest way to make a still hard cider using store bought organic apple juice. Not a major a fan of carbonation and all the recipes I find elsewhere are vague on instructions or are carbonated ciders. Thanks in advance for any help.

It won’t be carbonated unless you want it to be. Just like beer you can control the level.

It’s quite simple. Pasteurize your cider and pitch two packs of dry yeast for wine. I like cote du blanc and ferment it in mid to high 60s. cote du blanc is a high attenuator so you’ll get a low FG. The local cider I buy is usually about 1.050 OG and cdb takes it to 1.001, 6.5%. Very crisp, clean and clear. I liked it a lot. My wife and daughter liked it with fruit in it. I kegged and carbonated it because we like it that way.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’m going to be buying the cider essentials kit on NB for my first batch but after that I’d like to use store bought. About how long is the fermentation process with cote du blanc?

I honestly can’t say…haha…I’m never in a hurry for it and haven’t kept the best notes on the process. Last time I think I pitched it and didn’t check on it for a month.

1 Like

Ill buy apple juice from the big box store… Under 4 bucks a gallon…
Dump it into a sanitized better bottle… 5 gallons of it… I use KV-1116 wine yeast… Room temp… Covered… Yeast don’t want you to watch them… Close to 3 weeks later it’s done…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

I’ll definitely try these methods. Thanks again for the information

You want the easiest way? Go to an orchard buy a gallon of unpasteurized sweet cider. Pour off a small glass full. Throw in a few raisons. Poke a hole in a balloon and wrap it over the opening. The balloon will expand but not inflate. When the balloon goes limp it’s done. If you want it stronger add a cup of brown sugar.

4 Likes

Me gonna try to do a simple. Cider recipy. Soon. Must say. Love the strong bow. Cider. After dip in the ocean

You use the raisons for wild yeast on them @brew_cat ?

I use sweet cider instead of apple juice.

IN our neck of the woods… There isn’t alcohol sales in a grocery store… Yet…
So we have a choice… Apple juice… Or Apple cider… I’ve looked and cannot find what is the difference… The manufacturer is Indian Summer… From Mr. Noobs area… I’ve trained both and can’t tell a diff…
Sneezles61

Isn’t apple juice filtered while cider is pressed and just run through cloth or something? I’m not really clear (pun intended) on it either.

3 Likes

Yes but also they also help with body

While you can make hard cider from Mott’s apple juice it is kind of thin. Plus it’s made from concentrate which strips out alot of the good stuff. The sweet cider they sell in the grocery stores here is stabilized with sulfate so it won’t ferment. If you go to the orchard they sell it pasturized and unpasteurized. The pasturized will work but you need to add yeast then.

1 Like

On a side note I’ve made a cider with Mott’s and had some fresh bagged cranberries that was fun. It was tart. The cranberries are on sale now.

Now I want hard cider…

Isn’t that a Camden tablet? If so… It kills the wild yeast… but not Brewers/wine makers yeast…
Sneezles61

No Camden is potassium metabisulfite the stabilizer is potassium sorbate

I made a mistake in the post above it should be sorbate I think

That’s why we ask questions of you wiser Brewers… :sunglasses: We can keep learning!
Sneezles61