Dumb question -- draining off boil kettle

Post boil, post chill, transferring into primary. Do I need to use a hose or can I just open the valve and fire into a funnel? I’ve been doing some version of the latter forever but then I see videos of people diligently hooking up a hose and transferring in a far more dignified manner. Does it matter?

You are causing the wort to splash a bit, adding oxygen, which is a good thing when the wort is chilled.

As long as you are not making a mess, do as you are.

Some might disagree with me, but I don’t see a problem with it. The only thing I can add is a hose into a carboy may keep from picking anything up that might be in the air, but then pouring back and forth into buckets might be a problem also. Have you had a problem with what you are doing? If not, don’t worry about it.

yeast need oxygen. most people splash the wort, or shake the carboy for aeration. what you’re doing is no different. unless you use pure O2, the oxygen between splashing/transferring is no different than the oxygen already in the carboy

No issues so far. My thinking was similar to some of your responses: adding oxygen (easier than shaking a carbon and cheaper than a fancy aerator). Cool. Thanks for the quick replies.