Dry Stout

Found this on the AHA website. Their recipe list on homebrewopedia is really aggravating, because it always neglects stuff (in this instance the efficiency). So if you have favorite dry stout recipes I’ll take them, but for now I want to convert this recipe to a mini-mash. I’m wondering if I should use dark extract or just stick with a golden or light extract since it’s just the 2-row I’d be replacing. Thoughts? I was thinking like 4 lbs. 2-row in the mash plus the rest and then 2.75 lbs. lme. And I’d probably just primary for three weeks.

8 pounds British two-row pale malt
1.5 pounds flaked barley
1 pound roasted barley
.75 pound CaraPils malt
.5 pound 40 ºL crystal malt
1.5 ounces Kent Goldings hop plugs, 5% AA (70 minutes)
1 ounce Northern Brewer hops, 6.4% AA (70 minutes)
Wyeast No. 1084 Irish ale yeast
.67 cup corn sugar (to prime)

Original gravity: 1.054
Final gravity: 1.020
Boiling time: 70 minutes
Primary fermentation: 6 days at 63 ºF in glass
Secondary fermentation: 9 days at 63 ºF in glass
Age when judged: 6 months

dont use any dark extract. I agree with you in that I’d stick with the light and let the roast malt add the blackness/bitterness.

I’ve had great results for dry stouts by taking the 1lb of roasted barley, and literally grinding it to a powder in the food processor/vita mix/coffee grinder, adding half at the beginning of your mash, and the rest just before the boil. You get great color and roast without astringency I find common in a lot of homebrewed stouts.

Happy brewin’! :cheers:

I’d drop the carapils and shoot for a fg 1.014

[quote=“Pietro”]dont use any dark extract. I agree with you in that I’d stick with the light and let the roast malt add the blackness/bitterness.

I’ve had great results for dry stouts by taking the 1lb of roasted barley, and literally grinding it to a powder in the food processor/vita mix/coffee grinder, adding half at the beginning of your mash, and the rest just before the boil. You get great color and roast without astringency I find common in a lot of homebrewed stouts.

Happy brewin’! :cheers: [/quote]

I’ve never heard about using grains just before the boil. That’s really interesting. Would I just put it in a sack and pull it out before the boil starts? I wouldn’t think you’d leave it in during the boil what with astringency and tannic flavors bla bla bla.

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]

I’ve never heard about using grains just before the boil. That’s really interesting. Would I just put it in a sack and pull it out before the boil starts? I wouldn’t think you’d leave it in during the boil what with astringency and tannic flavors bla bla bla.[/quote]

Their use comes under “specialty grains”. Usually you steep them at acertain temperature (usually about 150 or so) for a specified period of time (20 minutes, maybe more, maybe less).

it seems to me that extracting tannins has more to do with mash pH than temperature or roast of the grain itself. I don’t think boiling with powdered roasted barley in the wort would extract any more tannins than doing a full mash with roasted barley. YMMV. :cheers:

[quote=“harpdog”][quote=“Hoppenheimer”]

I’ve never heard about using grains just before the boil. That’s really interesting. Would I just put it in a sack and pull it out before the boil starts? I wouldn’t think you’d leave it in during the boil what with astringency and tannic flavors bla bla bla.[/quote]

Their use comes under “specialty grains”. Usually you steep them at acertain temperature (usually about 150 or so) for a specified period of time (20 minutes, maybe more, maybe less).[/quote]

But if I’m doing a mini-mash then isn’t the whole thing steeped? I always assumed that’s what I’d be doing then adding the extract at the boil.

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”][quote=“harpdog”]

Their use comes under “specialty grains”. Usually you steep them at acertain temperature (usually about 150 or so) for a specified period of time (20 minutes, maybe more, maybe less).[/quote]

But if I’m doing a mini-mash then isn’t the whole thing steeped? I always assumed that’s what I’d be doing then adding the extract at the boil.[/quote]

My bad, didn’t read enough.

Drop the cara-pils. I also think your gravity is too high. You have an Extra Stout. 1.020 aslo sounds very sweet. I usually go 1.045 and finish at 1.009-1.012. You will have a complex, drinkable, refreshing beer. Even a 1.054 beer should finish at 1.014 or so. I would also use the light extract and skip the dark. Your roast and crystal will add plenty of color unless you use Briess Roasted Barley. It is only 375 Lv and will make a porter colored stout. I buy English roasted barley when I can get it because it is 500-550 Lv.