Dry hopping In a bag

Earlier this week I added my drop hopp addition to my secondary. I used two bags each with two oz of hopps and what I though was plenty of SS nuts for weight. They went to the bottom like a rock or to the end if the dental floss. I could not believe it yesterday when I took a peek at the Carboy to find the dumb things floating. A person must really need a crazy amount of weights to keep these things sunk. My question is at this point all I can do I believe to shake the Carboy to agitate things around a bit. Is there anything wrong with doing that. I know you don’t want to airate the beer. However before I racked the beer in the secondary I flushed the air out with co2. This is my first imperial IPA so I guess I probably won’t miss the flavor to much. Thanks like always for the expert help

1 Like

Never shake beer that’s nearing or at the end of fermentation. You’ll oxidize it. Hops are floating? So what. If they’re in there and saturated with beer you’re getting the oils into the beer. That’s all that matters.

2 Likes

You could use a sanitized racking cane to gently push the hop bags back under.

1 Like

Me had the same thing. .so right now went back to just toss the hops in there again

I contain my dry hopping in a large nylon grain sack (like that you use for steeping grains) and just drop it into the fermenter. I don’t use weights and don’t really care if it floats near the beer surface. It is in contact with the beer and the dry hopping effect still occurs.

2 Likes

Thanks I will leave well enough slob however I an curious though if I would airate the beer by shaking if the oxygen was flushed out with c02

Thanks everyone for your help I just won’t worry about it floating then.

I’ll go back to the SS mesh tea ball… Or, I haven’t bought one yet, Utah bio diesel has SS screens for this also… Someone on here bought one, maybe they’ll weigh in. Sneezles61

I have the keg dry hopper from utah biodiesel…going to buy the lid soon so i can hang it instead of just dropping it in there.

Well, I don’t think hanging, on top or the bottom will change much, i hope you will keep us in the loop… Sneezles61

What im not going to do is try to decarbonate non overcarbonated beer…as it shot hop particles all over the keg and its still pulling them out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t chance it. You may have had a layer of CO2 on the surface but the gas doesn’t stay stratified indefinitely and will become mxed with oxygen, especially if you shake it.