Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Dry Hopping Caribou Slobber

I’m curious if anyone has tried dry hopping or adding anything to secondary in this recipe and if so if you have anything to recommend?

I say go for it. Probably want to use something like U.S. Goldings or Willamette. Never done it myself but it’s gaining hopped browns are a very real thing. Had a few good ones in my day

i saw a recipe that called for 2 oz of centennial to be dry-hopped. not sure how that would mix with the hops in caribou slobber, but may try that. Any thoughts?

I don’t generally think of a malty flavor profile being enhanced by a generous dry-hopping. But it’ll drink either way. 2oz of Cents would make a nice bright grapefruit flavor/aroma.

Avery’s new porter is dry hopped with cascade and columbus.

Would work on a brown as well. Maybe 0.50 - 0.75oz of each.

http://averybrewing.com/our-ales/new-world-porter/

So this would be a New World Slobber?

i chickened out and went with the Williamette since they are recommended for Browns. I am going to dry hop with 2 oz for a week though, so we’ll see how it goes.

Sounds like a good plan, let us know what you think if the beer.

i transferred to secondary last night. i added 2 oz of williamette and decided, at the last minute, to add .5 oz of warrior. i also increased the boil to 3.5 gal of water instead of the recommended 2.5 gal. it is closer in color to a Porter and smells really good.

I bottled the Slobber about two weeks ago and tried a few over the weekend. I ended up with 2 oz. of Williamette and .5 oz of Warrior in dry hop for about 2.5 weeks. I did not use anything to try to sink the hops in secondary, so they floated on the top and i dont believe they made much of a contribution to the beer. I pulled to hop socks out of secondary, after bottling, and the pellets were more of a sandy consistency.

I did do a few other things that deviated from the recipe that seemed to add flavor. I used 3.5 gal of water in my boil and ended up steeping for close to 45 min, while i waited for the water to get to 160 degrees. I did each of these to absorb as much of the grain flavor as possible. The result is a nicely flavored, brown ale. While the dry-hopping didnt work as I had hoped, the beer is nicely flavored.

I just tasted my finished product of the Carribou Slobber. Wow, this is absolutely the best kit I’ve made so far. I didn’t add anything to it and loved it. It’s actually one of the few kits I’ve had that I don’t think anything really needs to be added. It’s spot on.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com