Dry Hopped directly in the keg. What happens?

Hi, I had originally planned upon using my keg as a secondary for dry hopping and bottling once it was done. I dry hopped WITHOUT putting the hops in any sort of bag or container. Now that it’s done, i’m thinking about just leaving it in the keg. What would happen if I just hit it with carb and tried drinking it once it was done? Would the hops clog my tap? Since hops settle, could I just hit it with some carb and flush for a little to get rid of the hops? Thoughts? Suggestions?

The hop material will clog either your dip tube or your tap, eventually.

I’ve cleaned my taps and found small bits of hop debris in them at times. And that’s not from dry hopping in the keg.

Should I just stick with my first plan and bottle?

You could siphon into another keg and then pour out of that one if you want to avoid bottling. It gives you an excuse to pick up another keg if you don’t have one.

I dry hopped (first time) in the keg a couple weeks ago. Didn’t have a bag so I stole a pair of my wife’s pantyhose and cut off about 8 inches of the foot section. After washing and soaking in starsan I put the hop pellets along with a sanitized stainless steel bolt into the pantyhose. I tied it off with some fine (sanitized) fishing line. I suspended it near the bottom of the keg and trapped the line with the lid.

I kegged on a Wednesday and tapped on the Friday night. The brew was the NB SMASH American session ale extract kit. Not sure how hoppy this brew is supposed to be but it was more hoppy than most store bought IPA’s.

Did I do it right?

Paul

Hey, Paul,

I supposed you’re doing it right if your wife doesn’t notice the missing pantyhose! :lol:

Otherwise, I’m going to copy your system. Well engineered!

To the OP, your poppet will very likely clog before you get 1 pint poured. Happened to me with just the hops I accidentally transferred from a dry hop in a fermenter.

Paul, that technique will work just fine. Sure what you’re picking up is the fresh hop aroma that is hard to find in any commercial beer that isn’t super fresh.

[quote=“Adrian_Astur_Alvarez”]Hey, Paul,

I supposed you’re doing it right if your wife doesn’t notice the missing pantyhose! :lol:

Otherwise, I’m going to copy your system. Well engineered![/quote]

This technique is not without flaws… I had checked for leaks where the fishing line came through the lid, all was ok. Well it was at first but had developed a leak last week and I lost a bunch of co2. Next time I’m going to try attaching it to the dip tube with a cable tie and then fill with beer.

Funny I was looking on the Morebeer site today and saw a keg lid that has a tab welded on the underside for just such purposes as we are discussing

Paul

[quote=“Brews-R-us”][quote=“Adrian_Astur_Alvarez”]Hey, Paul,

This technique is not without flaws… I had checked for leaks where the fishing line came through the lid, all was ok. Well it was at first but had developed a leak last week and I lost a bunch of co2. Next time I’m going to try attaching it to the dip tube with a cable tie and then fill with beer.

Funny I was looking on the Morebeer site today and saw a keg lid that has a tab welded on the underside for just such purposes as we are discussing

Paul[/quote]

I do the same thing but I don’t tie off the bag, I just drop it right in and pull it out when the kegs empty. I’ve never had a problem doing it this way.

[quote=“Brews-R-us”][quote=“Adrian_Astur_Alvarez”]Hey, Paul,

Paul[/quote]
Don’t use fishing line, use teflon thread tape.