Dry Hop Differences Per Home Brew Kit Maker

Most of the NB Kits instruct to dry hop after 1-2 week for another 1-2 weeks before bottling. When reviewing another popular Home Brew online store, their IPA kits have dry hoping for the same type of kit as NB to dry hop after 3-5 days after pitching. Its confusing to know what is best practice. Why does NB instructions after 1-2 weeks and others say 3 - 5 days after pitch and before active primary fermentation ends. NB way seems easier cause then I’m not taking readings and just wait 14 days and drop in the hops. What does everyone else do?

Kinda a conundrum… If you add before the fermentation dies down… You are hoping to scrub oxygen… Perhaps even have a small secondary ferment… If you add after its quiet… You’d have to know which hops add to a secondary restart… Perhaps thought of “hop creep”… It’s a fun idea to keep notes on…
Sneezles61

1 Like

There really is no “best practice”. Either method will work and both will end up being beer.
There are many different ways to dry hop with lots of reasons why they work. As you brew more you will ultimately decide which method works for the type of beer you are brewing.

4 Likes

…as in New England Ipa’s with the intent to dry hop very early in fermentation for maximizing haze polyphenols.

3 Likes

With NEIPA you would generally start early and layer in every few days. Standard IPA I’ll go a week then add them. But like mentioned above it doesn’t much mater. But if you’re going to use alot start early so you don’t have to add to much at once. I always do no more than an oz or 2 at a time to give them time. My theory is they settle out in a couple days after fermenation. So keep adding them over time to keep them in suspension longer. Active fermentation keeps them suspended longer.

3 Likes

Got it thank you everyone! brew_cat that makes sense.