Drinking beer and staying fit

How old are you? I ate a ton and stayed at 158 until I hit thirty then went up to 188 in a year. Then came down with Crohn’s disease and dropped to 155 in barely a month.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]Now, I’m not recomending drinking coors light to anyone. Why not try brewing your own low cal / low carb / low alcohol beer. I’m sure you could produce something with way more flavour than any of the major commercial attempts at this.

If the average beer you drink is 3% and fairly dry I’m sure you could still drink it fairly often and still work with a diet.[/quote]

^^^This.

When you got a tool like mine, you gotta build a shed over it! I forget where I heard that and for the record, I am not proud of my tool. Ashamed really.

How old are you? I ate a ton and stayed at 158 until I hit thirty then went up to 188 in a year. Then came down with Crohn’s disease and dropped to 155 in barely a month.[/quote]
that’s some serious weight loss. that’s a digestive disorder, right?

Got down to the same size, not a small guy at 6’6" 260 but I worked my way down from 310. I just used a program on my phone to help count calories which helped draw attention to where I was eating empty calories and became disciplined about going for a 1 hr walk ever day and getting on the treadmill or elliptical 4-5 times a week.

For beer I finally decided that I wouldn’t have any Monday-Wednesday, allow a few pints on Thursday, pretty much what ever beer I wanted Friday and Saturday (not getting piled or anything) and then a few on Sunday. I have no doubt I’d drop a bunch more weight if I were to stop drinking beer but that isn’t going to happen.

I feel like I’m training myself like a dog but I do use beer as a reward. :lol: I’ll have a pint after I lift or keep up my exercise schedule. Also think it helps that I tend to gravitate towards lower gravity beers. I love my 4% bitters and milds and often keep my American Pale ales around 4.5% and almost always under 5%. I do enjoy bigger beers but I’ll only have one here and there.

6’1", 205 lbs, 37. I walk/jog with my dog every morning, but have tended more to the walk lately. Age seems to be catching up with me and it is too hard to jog in the morning. I play softball once a week during the summer and fall…but winter takes its toll. I’m going to have to hit the weights and treadmill this winter or my beer consumption is going to add a ton to my weight…

Got down to the same size, not a small guy at 6’6" 260 but I worked my way down from 310. I just used a program on my phone to help count calories which helped draw attention to where I was eating empty calories and became disciplined about going for a 1 hr walk ever day and getting on the treadmill or elliptical 4-5 times a week.

I feel like I’m training myself like a dog but I do use beer as a reward. :lol: I’ll have a pint after I lift or keep up my exercise schedule. Also think it helps that I tend to gravitate towards lower gravity beers. I love my 4% bitters and milds and often keep my American Pale ales around 4.5% and almost always under 5%. I do enjoy bigger beers but I’ll only have one here and there.[/quote]

Session beers rock for so many reasons, including calories. There is also some correllation between how much alcohol is in a drink and how you can’t metabolize them as easily, so the EFFECT of the calories is even more staggering on high alcohol brews.

I’ve always understood the appreciation of session beers during a session, but I was finally able to see it in practice on Saturday night.

My buddy was drinking Southern Tier Pumpkings (9% abv) and a few Southern Tier DIPA (8.9% abv), and I was drinking Union Duckpin Pale Ale (5.1%…even slightly high for session, but a great new local craft brewery)…after an hour (though he did have wine with dinner beforehand too), he was speaking in tongues and I was feeling great.

Then we had a rye and he was really sloshed and I was only ‘properly tight’.

I’ve got to stop turning my nose up at sub 1.050 on brewday/brew planning day.

I work on a 5 story superstructure with lots of stairs to climb multiple times a day. Besides brewing in my spare time I like to hike, kayak, hunt, and garden. If you find activities that keep you moving, you can burn a lot of calories.

I have to exercise 4-5 times a week and still think I could lose 10 lbs though at 54, I’m still at my ‘college’ weight. It ain’t easy getting old but staying active is definitely the key.
And, I may drink a beer or two one night during the work week but usually only drink a few on weekends. If I drank every night, no way would I not be bigger. It’s just not in my genetic makeup. 5’8" and 165 lbs. Should be closer to 155.

What I am going to try is rewarding myself on Sunday with a few brews, and stay low carb the rest of the week. We’ll see how that works. One of my work buddies seems to think that the brews on Sunday will undo everything I’ve worked for during the week. I’m not sure I believe that, not yet anyway.

I think people get confused between a ‘low-carb’ diet (where you are simply limiting the number of complex sugars being broken down) and ATKINS, where you are virtually taking in no sugars. The latter puts your body into a state of ketosis, where it has to use fats for energy instead of carbs and you drop weight like mad.

I bet if you cut your carbs in half or more, and allow yourself a few to snort back during football, you will drop some lbs., or at least belly fat. Tell your friend (sarcastically) to go back to nutritionist school ;-D

How old are you? I ate a ton and stayed at 158 until I hit thirty then went up to 188 in a year. Then came down with Crohn’s disease and dropped to 155 in barely a month.[/quote]
that’s some serious weight loss. that’s a digestive disorder, right?[/quote]

Yes it is. Five years ago it flared up and I ended up down to 130 something from around 160. After having it for over 25 years it got to the point I had to have surgery (only 2 or 3% of people with Crohn’s avoid surgery that long).
The surgeon took 13 inches of small intestine and 5 inches of colon. It took a while to recover, but I’m doing good now and have an interesting scar. 8)
A year after the surgery I asked my gastrointestinal doctor if I could have a beer now and then. She said, “Have two if you like”.
After the surgery my wife vowed to fatten me up. I’m at 193 now and plan to stay there; if the Crohn’s ever flares up again I can drop a few and not look like a skeleton.

I don’t think it’s bad to have a little extra weight as long as your blood pressure and everything is at a healthy level. I have about 10-15lbs of extra weight, obviously I’d like to get rid of it, but it’s really not a big deal. I can still wear medium tshirts and size 33 jeans. I’m 5’8 and 173 or something like that, so it’s really not much. I definitely could cut back on the beer though…I had 5 throughout the night last night, which I shouldn’t be doing that during the week, it’s just too many calories.
Another thing I need to do is EAT SLOWER. I tend to just inhale my food, which leads to way overeating.
I think life style changes are the best thing one can do to lose weight and keep it off. Diets are bullshit, unless they’re permanent.

Try biking to work if you can. I commute 20 miles round trip each day and even that doesn’t burn off all the high gravity beer I consume, but it’s kept me from being and a hideous lardass at least.

You’re right. Depending on how hard one rides, it won’t burn it all off, unless your diet is really good. It would likely just even it out at that point. If you burn a thousand calories a day biking, which you probably do, then you can drink like 3 or 4 double IPAs a day and probably be fine, given that your diet isn’t shit.
I probably burn 600-800 calories a day just commuting, that doesn’t include all of the extra riding I may or may not do. When the weather is nice, I make my commute home much longer when I’m feeling up for it. But I tend to overeat, so that doesn’t help matters. But yes, your statement that bike commuting keeps one from being a “hideous lardass” is pretty spot on. It doesn’t mean you can just eat and drink whatever you want. If you wanna do that and don’t mind being a hideous lardass, that’s one’s own prerogative.

I really would like to bicycle to work. The problem is, a 2 mile stretch of Campstool Rd. here in Cheyenne. I’ve been run off of that road in my F150 3 times in the last few years by people texting/cell phone talking, etc. I’m very afraid of riding a bike on that road. That said, since I’m starting my low carb diet this Monday, I’m also going to start using my recumbent stationary bike and Jane Fonda step aerobics CDs. yes, I have Jane Fonda’s step CD’s. I really hope that doesn’t make me gay. But, I’m looking forward to being able to tie my shoes again. :smiley:

No, what makes you gay is if you are sexually and emotionally attracted to people of the same sex. So I’m going with No, having Jane Fonda CD’s does not make you gay. Only a little strange. :slight_smile:

I went to a low carb diet for 3 months earlier this year. I dropped 25 lbs but I had (gulp) NO Beer
during that time. As soon as I started throwing back a few , my weight loss stopped. I didn’t gain, but
I stopped losing. Also, it didn’t seem to matter if I consumed home brew or no carb drinks like diet
coke and rum. The weight loss stopped with any alc ohol consumption. I assume if you only drank once per week, you would still lose weight, just more slowly.

[quote=“john57”]Also, it didn’t seem to matter if I consumed home brew or no carb drinks like diet
coke and rum. The weight loss stopped with any alc ohol consumption.[/quote]Alcohol itself contains calories, about seven calories per gram. So although distilled liquor is carb free, it’s not calorie free, and they are “empty calories” too.

I’m generally fit…at 49 years old, I still work out several days a week including cardio (running, biking, eliptical, treadmill) and weight work…but I fear the 4 craft/home-brewed beers a day is catching up! I think it’s not only the beer, but the accompanying “beer munchies” I get! I’m trying to reduce my beer drinking to weekends only…being physically fit and healthy is a priority for me!

On that note…It is Friday! Happy Friday All!

People aren’t fat from drinking beer, they’re fat from all the crap they eat in between. Fatty meats, dairy, processed foods, sugars, our meals are calorie rich and nutrient poor. Take the beer away and we’d still be fat.

I eat lots of fruits and veggies, fatty fish like salmon, whole grain breads and no dairy. I cycle and actually find it hard to gain weight.