Drinking beer and staying fit

Couldn’t agree more…YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A RUNNER…JUST A PERSON WITH A DIRTY MIND.

On-On!!

I ride a bike for transportation. To work it’s 5-6 miles and after work I ride anywhere from 5 miles to 20 miles, depending on how I’m feeling. I also play drums for a metal band, which keeps me somewhat in shape also.
I still need to cut back on some of my food consumption. I don’t really eat sweets and I try to eat fairly healthily and more smaller meals. But I also overeat a lot.

I’m about 5’8 and 173. Could stand to lose about 10 or 15 lbs, but it’s not really a big deal. Just need to make small changes, like maybe not having that 3rd beer on a week night or something. Or just ride my bike more…

Generally, everyone gets quite a few calories every day from things they drink (juice, pop, cappuccino, etc) . . . . I just don’t really drink anything else that has calories in it. Probably drink a glass of milk each day, and beer. Other than that, I just drink water, coffee and tea - no calories in any of them.
Also - I do some running, biking, fishing, hunting, gardening, etc. various things that keep me somewhat active. Still heavier than I should be, but that probably has more to do with eating stuff I shouldn’t as opposed to the beer I drink.

The wife and I do “Insanity”. I get a panic attack every time I hear that damn song come on the DVD menu. Screw you Shaun T.

I did insanity for a little while. I enjoyed it ok, but it got kind of boring. My wife lost interest and then I lost the motivation to work out by myself. After I stopped, I lost about 8 lbs but didn’t keep it off.

Other than that, I limit my beer consumption. I also play in an indoor soccer league weekly, but its just not enough to keep me fit. I am just over 6’3 and my weight fluctuates between 206 and 215.

You know I don’t think this discussion can be limited to our hobby. This thread should be titled living in America and staying fit…

People have gotten lazier as the food has gotten worse, the jobs have gotten more stationary and as our lives seem to be lived more and more inside the house, office or car. We just happen to add on a few extra calories from good beer.

[quote=“inhousebrew”]You know I don’t think this discussion can be limited to our hobby. This thread should be titled living in America and staying fit…

People have gotten lazier as the food has gotten worse, the jobs have gotten more stationary and as our lives seem to be lived more and more inside the house, office or car. We just happen to add on a few extra calories from good beer.[/quote]
I think there’s truth to that statement. My girlfriend and I cook a lot at home, which I think makes a big difference. It’s nice to know what is going into your food and cooking with the most natural and fresh foods possible.
But I think generally, it’s important to not eat until you’re super full. I like to eat until I’m full, sure, but try to not over do it. Also, I try not to eat too much crap, meaning sweet stuff and fried food or processed food.

[quote=“john57”]Darn , you mean I need to spend 3 hours on a stair machine to eeven out my 6 pack ?

When would I find time to drink ?[/quote]

I drink while I work out. Recumbent bike with a cooler next to it.

People!!! I have never heard so many “weak” and denial-ridden stories about the correlation between beer and weight gain. This isn’t rocket science. The bottom line is that if you are drinking 2 or 3 pints a night after dinner…that’s going to be adding anywhere from 300 to 600+ calories to your daily allotment. I am as guilty as anyone. I have probably put on 10 or 15 pounds since I started homebrewing. I love beer and the more I learn about it and make it…the less likely I am to avoid drinking it. I run between 10 and 15 miles a week and don’t seem to be losing a ton of weight. I know I would lose weight if I cut my beer consumption down significantly. The problem is, I love this stuff so much. In the end, I will have to cut down on my beer consumption if I am going to get anywhere.

I named my gut, so it’s a keeper…

:cheers:

[quote=“tj218”]6’ 3’’ 195 when I started homebrewing (May 2012) my consumption has gone up but I am down to about 185.

I saw my consumption started to go up after I was making beer and decided I had to “earn” my drinks. Started running in June, could barely run a mile without gasping for air (sad I know). I setup a schedule to run 2 days, take a day off. No excuses, if I miss a day no drinks for me. I’m up to 20-25 miles per week @ 5 miles per run.

Kicker is, I have ALWAYS hated running. Listening to music never worked. Found out listening to a Podcast makes it less miserable and allows me to focus on (& learn) something besides how much I hate running. Specifically the Jamil Show and Brew Strong with an occasional Sunday Session. I am running for my beer and learning how to be a better home-brewer at the same time. Don’t get me wrong, running still sucks but I can literally do a miles without even realizing it now. Give it a shot.[/quote]

I do this EXACTLY. I’ve gone through about 50 Brew Strong podcasts in the past 3 months!

I think moderation helps you appreciate it more, also.

I had a buddy that said he put so much money into his gut, why would he try and get rid of it!

I’m 6’5" and 300+. My doctor wants me to go on a low carb diet, and I’m going to start this next Monday. I’d like to get back to my football weight, about 260-270. I’m just sitting here trying to figure out how my hobby can work into this. Maybe one day a week I have a few?

[quote=“paultuttle”]I’m 6’5" and 300+. My doctor wants me to go on a low carb diet, and I’m going to start this next Monday. I’d like to get back to my football weight, about 260-270. I’m just sitting here trying to figure out how my hobby can work into this. Maybe one day a week I have a few?[/quote]We should hang out together. I’m 6’5" and 313 with a size 16 4W shoe. We would look normal next to each other. :cheers:

I try to exercise 4 to 6 times a week and follow the regimen outlined in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Drink-Be-Heal ... be+healthy

Ah, another normal sized person. And I thought I was the only normal sized one on here! :smiley:

FYI. I had a friend who was overweight, and kept getting gout (in his early thirties). He did not want to cut back drinking, so he switched to only coors light, and he ended up losing weight and no more gout. Now I imagine he did cut back consumtion a bit, but I think the switch in beer was a big part of it.

Now, I’m not recomending drinking coors light to anyone. Why not try brewing your own low cal / low carb / low alcohol beer. I’m sure you could produce something with way more flavour than any of the major commercial attempts at this.

If the average beer you drink is 3% and fairly dry I’m sure you could still drink it fairly often and still work with a diet.

Great thread. I have a few thoughts:

5’10’’; 205lbs - not too make an excuse, but I have a very thick frame (44’’ chest, wide shoulders). The best shape I’ve been in since a full-grown adult, I was down to 192, 6% body fat.

beer is calories. GOOD beer is carbs. Mich Ultra (aka “WhyBother Lite”) is a waste for anyone on this forum. You will still be craving throwing a 250 calorie 12-oz doppelbock down your gullet.

Docs say that for a variety of reasons, women should aim for 1 drink per day (if you drink, ie don’t START drinking just for antioxidants), men can have 2 per day. That works great for me, except for long sessions, like sunday football, tailgates, bbq’s. Those are the ‘problem’. Therefore, my doc said that i should aggregate it. Ie 14 drinks per week total. Then if I know I will be hanging all day throwing them back on a saturday, I will need to sacrifice a few weeknight beers.

Also, re: # of beers in a session, if you are trying to get your BJCP on, the first and second beers are always the best ones anyway.

don’t get me wrong, its still a struggle, and there are plenty of weeks where I go over 14, but like those smartphone calorie trackers, it at least makes you aware of it. Mindlessly throwing back brews is for BMC drinkers. As someone said above, you enjoy them more if you know they are worth something.

On the fitness point, I do all sorts of things, weights, stairs, distance jogs, yoga, P90x, body pump. The key for me is finding something I enjoy, or at least finding a way to enjoy something. Always hated running, but music and my first iPod made it fun. I have recently been working out on a heavy bag with an MMA fighter, doing kickboxing. It is absoutely awesome…gets rid of stress (picture your boss’ face on the bag), lot of cool technique, and most importantly, I am sweating like Apollo for an hour.

Bottom line, for those of us without naturally fast metabolisms, we need to figure out ways to ignite the metabolism (ie intense interval training). It is a struggle for most, so forget about those twerps who can eat/drink whatever they want (no offense guys).

Crohn’s disease also works well for keeping off the weight.